Best way to prepare for college math

In summary: I highly recommend doing the Khan academy exercises to help solidify your skills and prepare for the college math classes you'll be taking. In summary, the best way to prepare for college math is to use the Khan Academy approach of doing problems and practicing.
Timothy Stevens
Hello again I'm the guy who asked a couple weeks ago about the fact I didn't take pre calc.

A new question is how the best to way to prepare for college math; right now I am using the dummies guide and Khan's academy with everything thing from algebra 1 to precalc as the school I am in isn't really a good school to learn. as it turns out we don't have a precalc class it's kind of combined with the trig class one might say . Due to the fact the students decide if we learn or not we only learn 1 day out of the week and most of the teacher tell us the answers during the test so we have good grades.

So is their anything else I can do to help me prepare since I'm worried (As I'm learning that school really didn't teach me anything)

Physics news on Phys.org
I say this all the time, but precalc is a joke. What Khan Academy for instance assigns to "Pre-calculus" is actually stuff you learn in the beginning of a high school calculus class, such as limits. The stuff I learned in precalc in my high school was largely a review of prior algebra classes, and introductions to certain rules of functions and logarithms. So you're not missing much. If you are already good at algebra and know how to use trig functions and identities then calculus won't be an issue. The calculus involved in solving a calculus problem is really just one or two steps, and the rest is algebra. If your algebra isn't good, you'll be in trouble. So Khan academy is good for those exercises and problems that'll sharpen your skills. Which brings you your answer: just do problems. Lots of them. That's all it takes.

I am enjoying the Khan academy exorcises though I admit though some may consider it embarrassing I am essentially doing all the courses Algebra 1&2, Geometry&Trig ,and Precalc as there is stuff in all of those which I didn't learn at school for the reasons above not to mention our main teacher for Algebra 1 and Geometry ended up missing half the year which really slowed progress down in class.

Though I feel a bit overwhelmed at what I consider catch up I still have half a year before college.

Timothy Stevens said:
I am enjoying the Khan academy exorcises though I admit though some may consider it embarrassing I am essentially doing all the courses Algebra 1&2, Geometry&Trig ,and Precalc as there is stuff in all of those which I didn't learn at school for the reasons above not to mention our main teacher for Algebra 1 and Geometry ended up missing half the year which really slowed progress down in class.

There's nothing embarrassing about it. There's plenty of little things that I don't know and I'm taking college math classes. Just keep working through those courses and you'll be fine.

The idea of a "pre-calc" class is a bit misunderstood. Pre-calc is nothing but algebra and trig. Some pre-calc courses go through a basic development of limits, but this is something that is typically also fully developed from the ground up in calc I. I never took pre-calc. I took college algebra, then trigonometry, and then calc I and onward. I've now completed calc I, calc II, differential equations, and linear algebra. Calc III is next semester. I've scored at the top of my math classes every semester, despite never taking "pre-calc."

A lot of people have the idea that pre-calc is somehow different or necessary. It's really nothing more than elements of college algebra and trigonometry rolled into one course, with less depth in each individual topic.

I just finished Pre-calc in college and it was basically what QuantumCurt said it was. Algebra+trig with a bit of geometry rolled into one class.

What is the importance of preparing for college math?

Preparing for college math is important because it will help you develop the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in your college courses. It will also make the transition from high school math to college math much smoother.

What are some effective ways to prepare for college math?

Some effective ways to prepare for college math include reviewing basic math concepts, practicing problem solving, taking advanced math courses in high school, and seeking help from tutors or teachers.

How can I improve my math skills before starting college?

You can improve your math skills by regularly practicing problems, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and using online resources such as math websites or apps. It is also helpful to review any areas of math that you struggle with and focus on improving them.

What are some common challenges students face when preparing for college math?

Some common challenges students face when preparing for college math include a lack of motivation, difficulty understanding complex concepts, and time management issues. It is important to address these challenges and seek help when needed.

How can I stay motivated while preparing for college math?

You can stay motivated by setting realistic goals, rewarding yourself for progress, finding study partners or groups, and reminding yourself of the benefits of being successful in college math. It is also important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and not to compare yourself to others.