Best way to represent a two-rounds election

• Thread starter Appiani
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about representing a two-round election mathematically. The options discussed include using a differential equation or linear algebra. The conversation also explores the idea of representing the election with an n*r matrix and using it to predict the results of the second round based on the first round. The group also discusses using Markov chains and a specific formula for calculating the number of seats a candidate needs to win the election. There is also a mention of using a function to represent the same idea and the possibility of writing a computer program to calculate it.
Appiani
I would like to represent a two-round election and I would like to understand which is the best way to represent it. I was thinking of a differential equation, or perhaps also linear algebra could be used. Can anybody link something with a formal mathematical representation of a two round election, or maybe we can just discuss it here?
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you want to represent, and what do you want to study?

Let us take a real example. In France they have a two rounds election law for the presidential elections. If a candidate gets 50%+1 votes at first round, he or she is elected president. Otherwise, there is a second round. I would like to represent this with an equation.

In general, "represent something with an equation" does not make sense, unless you have some specific application in mind.

Honestly I do not understand why it should not make sense. Anyway the problem above is simple. Can it be described by a differential equation, or perhaps it is better linear algebra?

I walk along the street. Try to express that as equation.

If I specify the speed and the distance, you can set up an equation that finds the time.
If I specify the step size and the distance, you can set up an equation that finds the number of steps.
... and so on, but all those things are much more specific questions.

In this case we have:

time (every round of elections is an occurrency of time)
number of votes per candidate
candidates

In the first round there can be n candidates. In the second round only 2 candidates
I woulk also like to express the equation in a way that there could be n rounds of elections (even though this is not realistic since normally there are no more than 2 rounds)

Appiani said:
In this case we have:

time (every round of elections is an occurrency of time)
number of votes per candidate
candidates

In the first round there can be n candidates. In the second round only 2 candidates
I woulk also like to express the equation in a way that there could be n rounds of elections (even though this is not realistic since normally there are no more than 2 rounds)
An equation should establish some relation between variables.
Here all you have is a n*r matrix, where n is the number of candidates and r the number of rounds.
What do you want to achieve with this matrix?

One interesting application could be to try to predict the result of the second round based on the result of the first round. Polling organizations surely have complex databases with detailed results of previous elections that allow them to do that (more or less accurately, of course).

Let us say that the relation between two variables is between numbers of votes and number of seats obtained. In this case the number of seats obtained can be 1 or 0. Every candidate can obtain 1 "seat" at first round to be a candidate in the second turn or 0. At the second turn 1 seat and the candidate becomes president and 0 and does not become president. As for the chances of being elected etc. I think what you said can be done with Markov chains

The number of seats is given by ##s_i = floor\left(\frac{v_i-1}{N}+\frac{1}{2}\right)## with the floor function, the number of votes vi of candidate i and the total number of valid votes N.
You see? That is a specific relation, that has a formula. It is an overcomplicated way of saying "candidate i needs more than N/2 votes".

I think this is exactly what I was looking for...Thanks!
Now, how would you express the same idea but with iteration. So "candidate i needs more than N/2 votes at first round or time t1 and also more than N/2 votes at second round or time t2 in order to become president"
All in one formula

Why would you do that? I don't see an application.
The general approach: define a function X(v) which does exactly what you described, then the formula is simply si = X(v,i). Done. If you actually want to calculate it, write a computer program.

There is a logical error in your description, the candidate doesn't need more than N/2 votes in the first round (if he gets that, there is no second round).

1. What is the purpose of having a two-rounds election?

The purpose of having a two-rounds election is to ensure that the winning candidate receives a majority of the votes. In a two-rounds election, if no candidate receives a majority in the first round, the top two candidates will advance to a second round where the winner is determined.

2. How is a two-rounds election different from other election systems?

A two-rounds election is different from other election systems because it allows for a second round of voting if no candidate receives a majority in the first round. This ensures that the winning candidate has a majority of the votes, rather than just a plurality.

3. What is the best way to represent a two-rounds election?

The best way to represent a two-rounds election is through a graphical representation, such as a bar chart or pie chart, that shows the percentage of votes received by each candidate in each round. This allows for a visual comparison of the candidates' performance in each round.

4. How is the winner determined in a two-rounds election?

The winner in a two-rounds election is determined by the candidate who receives the majority of the votes in the second round. If there is a tie in the second round, the candidate who received the most votes in the first round is declared the winner.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to a two-rounds election?

One potential drawback of a two-rounds election is the cost and time involved in conducting two separate rounds of voting. Additionally, it may also lead to strategic voting in the first round, as voters may choose to support a less preferred candidate in order to prevent a stronger candidate from advancing to the second round.