Best Way to Study for the Physics GRE?

In summary, the discussion is about preparing for the physics GRE. Some recommendations include going through a university physics text cover to cover and doing all the exercises, practicing with old tests and flashcards, and getting an extended edition version of a freshman physics text. The flashcards from Case Western are helpful, but some of the material may be more advanced than what is on the actual exam. The extended edition text typically covers topics from vector algebra to QM and cosmology.
"pi"mp
Hi all, sorry if this thread already exists. I am just wondering if going through a University Physics text cover to cover and doing all of the exercises is a good way to prepare for the physics GRE? I know I should also do many practice tests of course.

I'm pretty worried about this test; I am nearly a straight A student in both math and physics and my knowledge of math makes a lot of advanced topics like QM, Q. field theory, etc make a lot of intuitive sense but somehow, basic physics problems can throw me off sometimes! I know it's weird. I certainly didn't care as much when I was taking rudimentary physics as I do now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I took it in April, and will be receiving my score soon. I'd recommend getting and memorizing these flash cards (http://www.phys.cwru.edu/flashCards/)

They're free, and I remember answering some questions just because I had it memorized from the cards. I'd also do all of the old tests and make sure you know how to do all of the problems in the 2008 and 2001 tests as those are very similar to the current one.

Get an extended edition version of a freshman physics text and work through the 40-something chapters. Then go over the practice exams and their solutions (grephysics.net).

I also got the flash cards from Case Western and they're great, although some of the material is more advanced than what you can expect to find on the actual exam.

Thanks a lot guys! I just ordered the flash cards. Ballistikk...what do you mean by an extended edition freshman physics text? I believe my freshman physics text had 40 something chapters that went through vector algebra all the way to QM and even a chapter on basic cosmology. Is that what you mean?

"pi"mp said:
Thanks a lot guys! I just ordered the flash cards. Ballistikk...what do you mean by an extended edition freshman physics text? I believe my freshman physics text had 40 something chapters that went through vector algebra all the way to QM and even a chapter on basic cosmology. Is that what you mean?

Yep, that's it. The level of modern physics you'll see on the PGRE is most likely covered there.

1. What topics should I focus on while studying for the Physics GRE?

It is important to have a strong foundation in all major topics of physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. However, it is also recommended to focus on topics that are heavily tested on the Physics GRE, such as classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. How much time should I devote to studying for the Physics GRE?

The amount of time needed to prepare for the Physics GRE can vary depending on your current level of knowledge and your score goals. However, it is generally recommended to spend at least 3-4 months studying, with 1-2 hours of dedicated study time each day.

3. Should I rely on practice tests or textbooks for studying?

Both practice tests and textbooks can be valuable resources for studying for the Physics GRE. Practice tests can help you become familiar with the format and types of questions on the exam, while textbooks can provide in-depth explanations and examples of key concepts. It is recommended to use a combination of both for the most effective studying.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for the Physics GRE?

One of the best ways to improve your problem-solving skills for the Physics GRE is by practicing with sample problems and past exams. This will help you become familiar with different types of problems and develop strategies for approaching them. It is also important to understand the underlying concepts and equations rather than just memorizing formulas.

5. Are there any tips for taking the Physics GRE on test day?

On test day, it is important to stay calm and focused. Make sure to read each question carefully and budget your time wisely. If you are unsure of an answer, it is better to make an educated guess rather than leaving it blank. Also, make sure to get a good night's rest and eat a healthy breakfast before the exam to ensure you are in the best condition to perform well.