1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Way to Study for the Physics GRE?

1. May 11, 2013 #1
    Hi all, sorry if this thread already exists. I am just wondering if going through a University Physics text cover to cover and doing all of the exercises is a good way to prepare for the physics GRE? I know I should also do many practice tests of course.

I'm pretty worried about this test; I am nearly a straight A student in both math and physics and my knowledge of math makes a lot of advanced topics like QM, Q. field theory, etc make a lot of intuitive sense but somehow, basic physics problems can throw me off sometimes! I know it's weird. I certainly didn't care as much when I was taking rudimentary physics as I do now.

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2
    I took it in April, and will be receiving my score soon. I'd recommend getting and memorizing these flash cards (http://www.phys.cwru.edu/flashCards/)

They're free, and I remember answering some questions just because I had it memorized from the cards. I'd also do all of the old tests and make sure you know how to do all of the problems in the 2008 and 2001 tests as those are very similar to the current one.

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    Get an extended edition version of a freshman physics text and work through the 40-something chapters. Then go over the practice exams and their solutions (grephysics.net).

I also got the flash cards from Case Western and they're great, although some of the material is more advanced than what you can expect to find on the actual exam.

5. May 12, 2013 #4
    Thanks a lot guys! I just ordered the flash cards. Ballistikk...what do you mean by an extended edition freshman physics text? I believe my freshman physics text had 40 something chapters that went through vector algebra all the way to QM and even a chapter on basic cosmology. Is that what you mean?

6. May 12, 2013 #5
    Yep, that's it. The level of modern physics you'll see on the PGRE is most likely covered there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook