Is Bicycle Suspension Really Necessary?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of bicycle suspension and its history. The speaker is looking for information on when bicycle suspension was first introduced and what systems were originally used. They are provided with helpful links and resources, and the conversation also touches on the differences between bicycles with and without front fork suspension. The main concern is finding a comfortable and efficient bike for commuting.
Hodgie
Hey Guys,
I'm doing a research project on the bicycle suspension.
I would like to include a brief history of the suspension in my report.
I am having trouble finding when bicycle suspension was first introduced, and what sort of systems were originally used, who patented it etc.
Any help or link would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks for your time.

Science news on Phys.org
thanks mate, apreciate the help

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance." - Orville Wright

What are the differences between a bicycle with a fork suspension and one that doesn't have the suspension? Hoping you can help me in deciding what style of bicycle I should get. Currently, I'm between a Marin Kentfield and a Cannondale Adventure 5.

The Marin doesn't have the fork suspension. While the Cannondale does. I'm hoping to have a new focus on commuting to work (20 miles round-trip). The more comfortable and less draining my ride will be, the more likely I will be to make this a habit.

What difference does having the front fork suspension make if any?

Last edited by a moderator:
kayanat said:
What difference does having the front fork suspension make if any?

It'll weigh more, take a little bit more energy to ride, and be more comfortable (off road). If you're only riding on the road, or on gravel tracks, towpaths etc, stick to a rigid fork. You don't need suspension until you're riding on pretty serious off-road courses (and even then, you don't need it...)

1. What is the purpose of bicycle suspension?

Bicycle suspension is designed to absorb impact and vibrations from the terrain, providing a smoother and more comfortable ride for the rider.

2. When was bicycle suspension first invented?

The first known bicycle suspension system was patented in 1885 by British inventor John Kemp Starley. However, it was not until the 1920s that suspension systems began to be used on a larger scale.

3. How has bicycle suspension technology evolved over time?

Bicycle suspension technology has seen significant advancements since its invention, including the introduction of front suspension forks in the 1970s and full suspension bikes in the 1980s. Modern suspension systems use a variety of materials and designs to provide efficient and adjustable suspension for different riding styles and terrains.

4. What are the different types of bicycle suspension?

There are two main types of bicycle suspension: front suspension and full suspension. Front suspension, also known as a suspension fork, is located on the front wheel and absorbs impact from the terrain. Full suspension involves both front and rear suspension, providing a smoother and more controlled ride.

5. What are the benefits of using bicycle suspension?

Using bicycle suspension can improve a rider's comfort, control, and performance on various terrains. It can also help reduce fatigue and prevent injuries by absorbing shock and impacts that would otherwise be transferred to the rider's body. Additionally, suspension can increase traction and improve handling, making it easier to navigate through rough terrain.