What size tires and tubes should I get for my hybrid bike?

In summary, the individual is looking to replace their old tires on their hybrid mountain/road bike with 700x35c tires. However, they are having trouble finding them online and are wondering if 700x32c tires would be a good substitute. They also need advice on what size tube to get and whether or not they should use lubricant or grease on their bike. Some suggestions are given, including using a non-greasy lube and only putting it on the sides of the chain, not the rollers. The individual then orders 2 tires, 2 tubes, tire levers, and lube, but only receives the tubes, levers, and lube. They are unsure if the rest of the package will arrive
WarPhalange
After riding to work a lot during my internship/REU/whatever thing, I'm back home and want to keep riding anywhere I can. I have an old hybrid mountain/road bike which I really like, but the tires are getting old, especially the back one is getting frayed and I'm getting a bumpy ride for some reason.

They are 700x35c tires, and I'm having trouble finding them online. I found plenty of 700x32c, but I don't know if that would be good enough. I think 3mm isn't that much, but then again I don't want to wipe out while going down hill on a busy street.

While we're at it, what size tube should I get? Same as the tire, or slightly smaller?

Physics news on Phys.org
700x32 will fit perfectly, the rim size is fixed for the diameter.
The narrower tyre (or tire) will give you better rolling resistance on the road.

Tubes aren't exactly precise, they normall come in 1-1/2 increments anyway.

700x32 is no different from 700x35. both are extremely fat for a 700C wheel. That's mountain bike fat on a road bike rim. You could easily use any size down to 25 if you are not going over a lot of loose dirt. And tubes have a lot of overlap (they can stretch) Find a tube that says something like: "700C x28--35". Don't use a tube that does not overlap with your tire size. Pop.

Chances are your bike will be fine without lubricant. And if you really think it needs some, just get some WD-40...

binzing said:
Chances are your bike will be fine without lubricant. And if you really think it needs some, just get some WD-40...

I wouldn't put WD-40 anywhere near my bike.

binzing said:

WD-40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. It will dissolve any lubricant I have left on my bike and I will proceed to grind while riding.

But thanks for playing.

The only thing that needs regular lube is the chain. Clean it with a chain cleaner then spot any light oil on the sides of the links.
Putting grease or anything thicker on the chain means grit sticks to it which quickly wears the chain and hub.

And you're right, don't put wd-40 near anything that already moves. It's for stuff that should move but doesn't.

Note that he said he's looking for TIRES, not TUBES. Everyone else is correct, though -- you won't notice 3 mm in either a tire or a tube. Get tires that fit the kind of riding you wish to do, though.

The most important thing about "lubing your chain" is actually not lube -- it's the removal of all the dust and dirt that sticks to the lube and clogs the chain. Clean it very thoroughly with a chain cleaner (a rag will suffice but it's not nearly as good), lube every pin in the chain with a good quality non-greasy lube like ProLink (greasy lubes attract dirt, which you don't want), then wipe it off several times with a clean rag. You really need very, very little lube, and you want it in the pins, not on the outside where it serves no purpose. Excess lube just makes your chain get dirty more quickly.

- Warren

Remove the chain completely. Clean with a sprayed solvent such as Varsol. Allow to dry. Submerge the chain in quality gun oil (or Marvel Mystery Oil) in an ultrasonic cleaning vat for several hours. Remove, wipe off excess and reinstall. Repeat as needed, depending on use in dirt.

Wow a new religous war!
By sides of the chain, I meant you need to get oil between the side plates of adjacent links where they move over each other. You don't put oil on the rollers - ie down the middle of the chain. As chroot says you want almost no oil, just touch the tip of an oil-can to each link.

If it's very bad or at all sticky - consider getting a new chain, they are < $10 and save a new cassette. If you commute everyday it's worth replacing the chain every year, depending on how bad the roads are in winter.

The oil will be fine - don't know if it is really that much better than the old "3 in 1" from your local hardware store.

Most modern bottom brackets with plastic cups don't need regreasing, the pedals only need greasing if they stick. It's also worth putting a few drops of oil in the ends of the brake/gear cables where they enter the sleeve, to try and keep water from buildign up there.

Okay, so I ordered 2 tires, 2 tubes, some tire levers, and some lube.

Today, I got the tubes, levers, and lube. I look at my order and it says it's all shipped with the same tracking number.

I look at the UPS tracker and it says the package only weighted 1.4lbs, which is about the weight of a single tire.

Does it happen often that UPS will only give part of a package and give the rest the next day (say they didn't notice or something), or do I need to contact the company and tell them to actually send the tires this time?

WarPhalange said:
So what about this stuff I ordered?
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikepar...--2oz-Dry-Lube-Non-Aerosol&category=Lubricant

Would that be alright? And do I need to grease up the wheels or pedals or anything?

I use that product. There is one trick to them: get the chain as clean as possible. There's the proper way (remove the chain, soak in kerosene, scrub with a toothbrush, rinse in clean kerosene, hang to dry) and there is the gritty commuter method (I commute 15 miles every day in all weather):

You can use (gasp) WD-40 first to dissolve the oil/grease that is already on the chain. I spray the chain (old rag behind the chain keeps the stuff off the bike), then crank the chain backward through the rag which is now clasped around the chain. repeat, repeat. Keep moving the rag as it turns black, continue until the chain is dry. It won't be perfectly clean, but you're commuting, not racing, right?

I personally wouldn't use "3-in-1" oil. It doesn't last long, it gets gummy and picks up grit, and then you get cakes of black stuff you need to get out from inside the gear cluster.

When "dry lube" goes on a clean chain (make sure it gets inside all links) you will not have to relube for months. I'm serious. The liquid in the bottle is essentially a solvent like WD-40. After the solvent dries, it leaves a dry coating on the metal. This coating does not pick up anywhere near as much grit, and it lasts through more than a few wet-commutes. I last lubed my commuter bike in February.

Wheels and pedals have sealed bearings (unless the bike is more than 15 years old, or really cheap) so they do not need to be relubed. You could, but you'd need special tools. The only other thing you might lube once a year are the cables, letting a few drops of lube dribble down the cables into the sheathing.

WarPhalange said:
Okay, so I ordered 2 tires, 2 tubes, some tire levers, and some lube.

Today, I got the tubes, levers, and lube. I look at my order and it says it's all shipped with the same tracking number.

I look at the UPS tracker and it says the package only weighted 1.4lbs, which is about the weight of a single tire.

Does it happen often that UPS will only give part of a package and give the rest the next day (say they didn't notice or something), or do I need to contact the company and tell them to actually send the tires this time?

I'd wait another day or so. If you bought a 1.4 pound tire, well, jeez...

Often, mail-order items are "direct shipped" from the manufacturer, so different items will come in different boxes from different places, yet they will still be part of the same order. Look on the packing slip to see if anything is marked "BO" for "back-order," which means they will send them when they get them.

Well the tires were like 800grams each, which is over a pound. It said they were "shipped" and had the exact same tracking number, which is what is confusing me. If I get something as part of two packages, they've always had different tracking numbers.

OK, I guess I've never had 700C knobby tires.

It wouldn't hurt to call the company, even if the other bits are on their way. It would be a good thing for them to make it clear if things are shipped separately.

WarPhalange said:
Well the tires were like 800grams each, which is over a pound. It said they were "shipped" and had the exact same tracking number, which is what is confusing me. If I get something as part of two packages, they've always had different tracking numbers.

Chi Meson said:
OK, I guess I've never had 700C knobby tires.

It wouldn't hurt to call the company, even if the other bits are on their way. It would be a good thing for them to make it clear if things are shipped separately.
It could be that the shipments are from different locations.

WarPhalange said:

That makes sense. They are not foldable, so they'll have steel beads; that plus the "protection belt" and high mileage compound add up to a heavy-ish tire. But they're intended for long use and puncture resistance, so weight is a secondary concern. Continental is a great company for bike tires.

1. What is the difference between tire sizes for hybrid bikes?

There are typically three tire sizes for hybrid bikes: 700c, 650b, and 26 inches. 700c tires are the most common and are typically used for faster riding on paved roads. 650b tires offer a slightly wider profile and are better for off-road or rough terrain. 26 inch tires are usually found on older hybrid bikes and are best for leisurely riding on flat surfaces.

2. How do I know what size tires my hybrid bike needs?

The best way to determine the tire size for your hybrid bike is to check the sidewall of your current tires. The size will be indicated in either inches or millimeters. If you are unable to find the size, you can also measure the diameter of the rim and the width of the tire to determine the appropriate size.

3. What is the recommended tire pressure for hybrid bikes?

The recommended tire pressure for hybrid bikes can vary depending on the tire size and rider weight. However, a good rule of thumb is to keep the tire pressure between 60-80 psi. This will provide a balance between speed and comfort.

4. Do I need to match the tire and tube size?

Yes, it is important to match the tire and tube size for your hybrid bike. If the tire and tube sizes do not match, it can cause issues with inflation and can potentially lead to a flat tire or damage to the tube.

5. Can I use any type of tire or tube for my hybrid bike?

It is best to use tires and tubes specifically designed for hybrid bikes. These tires are designed to provide a balance of speed and durability for both road and off-road riding. Using tires and tubes that are not designed for hybrid bikes can affect the performance and safety of your bike.