Big Bang Skeptic: Constructing a Ring-like Universe

• Thread starter dthomass
  • Start date
In summary: I'm there now!In summary, the conversation discusses a proposed alternative to the Big Bang theory where the universe takes on the appearance of a ring, with all parts moving around a central point of gravity. However, it is pointed out that this model does not accurately explain the observation that the universe looks the same in all directions. The conversation also clarifies the common misconception that the Big Bang occurred at a single point in space, when in fact it occurred everywhere at the same time.
dthomass

as alternative to the big bang, let's construct an arc from the farthest points of the discernible universe such that the universe now has the appearance of a ring, like those Saturn. Now all parts of the universe move exactly as they do now about gravity at the center of the ring. Why is this model not discussed?
Of course, I have not studied the Universe except an occasional viewing of the Science (or other) Channel.
Thanks for the help.

Space news on Phys.org
dthomass, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your model for an alternative to the Big Bang theory would need to be a lot more detailed before anyone could seriously consider it to be a possible theory.

May I suggest you start by studying (textbooks, scientific papers, higher math) first to learn exactly what the BB theory describes, and second, some of the already-thought-of alternative theories? Now, if you started with those clearly in mind then you might possibly construct a new theory in enough detail to get the attention of real cosmologists.

A "ring like around Saturn" just does not describe too much useful information. Do continue your study of this difficult issue...you will learn a lot and one day you just may propose some really important alternate theory!

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Your response would be inspiring if I had the intellectual where-with-all to go there. I imaging the answer has been given many times yet I didn't see it in the frequently asked questions. I’ve watched the description of the Big Bang an don’t disagree that it is plausible. Since thinking makes my brain hurt I’ll just let this one go. Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

dthomass said:

as alternative to the big bang, let's construct an arc from the farthest points of the discernible universe such that the universe now has the appearance of a ring, like those Saturn. Now all parts of the universe move exactly as they do now about gravity at the center of the ring. Why is this model not discussed?...

Because the distant universe is the same in all directions, not just in one plane. You would get a sphere rather than a ring and you don't have stable orbits on the axis of rotation.

Keep in mind that distant parts of the universe are distant in time, not space.

Chronos said:
Keep in mind that distant parts of the universe are distant in time, not space.

When we say a galaxy is 4 bly away, we understand that light took 4by to reach us and therefore we are seeing it as it was 4by ago, but at the same time, the distance between us is now much more than 4 bly (due to expansion of space). I could not understand your comment Chronos, can you please explain what do you mean to say that?

dthomass said:
as alternative to the big bang, let's construct an arc from the farthest points of the discernible universe such that the universe now has the appearance of a ring, like those Saturn.

Because, in this model, shouldn't see galaxies evenly distributed and you do.

One of the basic observations about the universe is that it looks the same in different directions.

manojr said:
When we say a galaxy is 4 bly away, we understand that light took 4by to reach us and therefore we are seeing it as it was 4by ago, but at the same time, the distance between us is now much more than 4 bly (due to expansion of space). I could not understand your comment Chronos, can you please explain what do you mean to say that?
The point is that by the time we receive a message from a distant astronomer, we will also be able to see the light that observer is commenting upon.

twofish-quant said:
Because, in this model, shouldn't see galaxies evenly distributed and you do.

One of the basic observations about the universe is that it looks the same in different directions.

I probably should let this question die, but cannot help going just a bit more.
Gravity, here on earth, seems to have a compatible relationship with things that need even distribution.
I would expect that the universe would look the same from different directions and not sure why this would explain my question.
I suppose that even if the Big Bang was the beginning, all created from it (our universe) could be in rotation around a central point (super-duper black hole?)
Yesterday, I had 10 hours or more of "The Universe" playing all day and astounded by our knowledge. I think it’s enough. We could have a better world in relatively short time If we could redirect 3/4 of these great thinkers to commit to 'how to help us live longer' and 'how to prevent disease.’

Common misconception: the Big Bang occurred at a single point in space and everything exploded around that. Per the current Big Bang Theory, it occurred everywhere at the same time. Maybe you should read Phinds's website on the Balloon Analogy: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=602569

Whovian said:
Common misconception: the Big Bang occurred at a single point in space and everything exploded around that. Per the current Big Bang Theory, it occurred everywhere at the same time. Maybe you should read Phinds's website on the Balloon Analogy

Okay, you got me - I have misunderstood the "big bang." You're right, I should read Phinds's work.

dthomass said:
Whovian said:
Common misconception: the Big Bang occurred at a single point in space and everything exploded around that. Per the current Big Bang Theory, it occurred everywhere at the same time. Maybe you should read Phinds's website on the Balloon Analogy

Okay, you got me - I have misunderstood the "big bang." You're right, I should read Phinds's work.

If you want to, it's at

www.phinds.com/balloonanalogy

phinds said:
dthomass said:
If you want to, it's at

Thanks!

What is the concept of "Big Bang Skeptic: Constructing a Ring-like Universe"?

The concept of "Big Bang Skeptic: Constructing a Ring-like Universe" is a scientific theory that challenges the commonly accepted idea of the Big Bang theory. It proposes that instead of a single explosion and expansion of the universe, the universe is shaped like a ring and has been expanding and contracting in cycles.

What evidence supports the idea of a ring-like universe?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea of a ring-like universe. One is the observation of large-scale structures in the universe, such as galaxy clusters and filaments, that seem to align in a ring-like structure. Another is the presence of cosmic microwave background radiation, which is thought to be leftover energy from the early universe, that also shows a ring-like pattern.

How does this theory explain the origin of the universe?

The theory of "Big Bang Skeptic: Constructing a Ring-like Universe" suggests that the universe has always existed in a cyclical pattern of expansion and contraction. Therefore, there was no singular beginning of the universe, but rather it has always existed in this ring-like form.

What are the implications of this theory for our understanding of time and space?

If the universe is indeed a ring-like structure, it would challenge our traditional understanding of time and space. It suggests that time and space may not be linear, but rather cyclical, and that there may be other dimensions beyond the three that we currently perceive.

How does this theory impact other scientific theories and models?

The theory of a ring-like universe would have a significant impact on other scientific theories and models, especially those related to the origins and evolution of the universe. It would require a reevaluation of our current understanding of the Big Bang theory, as well as theories about the structure of the universe and the nature of time and space.