Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Ban Skeptic

1. May 20, 2012 #1

as alternative to the big bang, lets construct an arc from the farthest points of the discernible universe such that the universe now has the appearance of a ring, like those Saturn. Now all parts of the universe move exactly as they do now about gravity at the center of the ring. Why is this model not discussed?
    Of course, I have not studied the Universe except an occasional viewing of the Science (or other) Channel.
    Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

dthomass, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your model for an alternative to the Big Bang theory would need to be a lot more detailed before anyone could seriously consider it to be a possible theory.

May I suggest you start by studying (textbooks, scientific papers, higher math) first to learn exactly what the BB theory describes, and second, some of the already-thought-of alternative theories? Now, if you started with those clearly in mind then you might possibly construct a new theory in enough detail to get the attention of real cosmologists.

A "ring like around Saturn" just does not describe too much useful information. Do continue your study of this difficult issue...you will learn a lot and one day you just may propose some really important alternate theory!

Cheers,
    Bobbywhy

4. May 20, 2012 #3
    Your response would be inspiring if I had the intellectual where-with-all to go there. I imaging the answer has been given many times yet I didn't see it in the frequently asked questions. I’ve watched the description of the Big Bang an don’t disagree that it is plausible. Since thinking makes my brain hurt I’ll just let this one go. Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

5. May 21, 2012 #4
    Because the distant universe is the same in all directions, not just in one plane. You would get a sphere rather than a ring and you don't have stable orbits on the axis of rotation.

6. May 21, 2012 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that distant parts of the universe are distant in time, not space.

7. May 21, 2012 #6
    When we say a galaxy is 4 bly away, we understand that light took 4by to reach us and therefore we are seeing it as it was 4by ago, but at the same time, the distance between us is now much more than 4 bly (due to expansion of space). I could not understand your comment Chronos, can you please explain what do you mean to say that?

8. May 21, 2012 #7

Because, in this model, shouldn't see galaxies evenly distributed and you do.

One of the basic observations about the universe is that it looks the same in different directions.

9. May 21, 2012 #8

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The point is that by the time we receive a message from a distant astronomer, we will also be able to see the light that observer is commenting upon.

10. May 21, 2012 #9
    I probably should let this question die, but cannot help going just a bit more.
    Gravity, here on earth, seems to have a compatible relationship with things that need even distribution.
    I would expect that the universe would look the same from different directions and not sure why this would explain my question.
    I suppose that even if the Big Bang was the beginning, all created from it (our universe) could be in rotation around a central point (super-duper black hole?)
    Yesterday, I had 10 hours or more of "The Universe" playing all day and astounded by our knowledge. I think it’s enough. We could have a better world in relatively short time If we could redirect 3/4 of these great thinkers to commit to 'how to help us live longer' and 'how to prevent disease.’

11. May 21, 2012 #10
    Common misconception: the Big Bang occurred at a single point in space and everything exploded around that. Per the current Big Bang Theory, it occurred everywhere at the same time. Maybe you should read Phinds's website on the Balloon Analogy: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=602569

12. May 21, 2012 #11

13. May 21, 2012 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

14. May 21, 2012 #13

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook