Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Bang Blast!

1. Mar 10, 2004 #1
    The snapshot of the universe, called the Ultra Deep Field, captured light that had streaked through space for more than 13 billion years, starting its journey when the universe was only 5 percent of its 13.7-billion-year age. The view has about 10,000 galaxies, some mixed in chaos that one astronomer said "looked like a train wreck."

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2004 #2
    I would have expected the structures to be less well formed and possibly still in the process to condensing into galaxies. This looks more like the chaotic remnants of an explosion rather than some ordered process.
  4. Mar 14, 2004 #3
    Universal Genesis...

This looks more like the chaotic remnants of an explosion rather than some ordered process.

This Ultra Deep Field definately suggests that the Universe originated from the most chaotic, torrential, violent, etc. explosion ever.

The most powerful nuclear explosions conducted on Terra are far more stable and organized by comparison.

This definately appears to have been a result of a enormous collision of excess matter and reduced anti-matter, as suggested by some Universal Genesis theories. Such explosions are extremely unstable and violent, the most violent and chaotic explosions imaginable, as suggested by the UDF.

I would expect that fabricated device-based anti-matter nuclear explosions would be highly unstable and chaotic explosions when detonated, producing highly chaotic debree.

It appears that I may have dismissed Chaos Theory far too soon in my philosophy studies.

5. Mar 16, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm ... for a start, most of the objects in the UDF are much closer than z ~=10+.

Next, in the first few billion years, galaxy collisions were likely considerably more frequent than they are "now". Nearby galaxies disturbed or disrupted by a collision (e.g. M82) certainly look chaotic, so it's no surprise that distant disturbed or disrupted galaxies also look chaotic.

So the challenge is to
    a) define objective measures of 'chaos' in deep images,
    b) measure the degree of 'chaos' in a statistically significant selection of sky fields,
    c) take spectra (to develop redshift measures) of a sufficient number of the 'chaotic' fragments,
    d) derive/predict chaos from your favourite theory of explosions, and lastly
    e) compare observation with prediction!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?