Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big fish small fish

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    juz a question to c yr thoughts n tis question is open to interpretation

is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a large ocean?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2
    small fish, large ocean :D
  4. Nov 22, 2004 #3
    Big fish in a small pond, for it would be more convenient this way for those who are interested in observing the species you represent.
  5. Nov 23, 2004 #4
    I am not that aware of how the fishes' minds works, however, it seems to me as if a small fish would be as happy as a large fish (in a sense of our human perception), therefor, except for how it is affected by the souroundings, it's size doesn't matter.
    I am not aware of what exists in the small versus the large pond and therefor it is quite difficult to give a correct answer to this.
    A large pond is likely the better one as there's likely more life in such a pond than in a smaller. As the large fish takes more place than the small and I'm not aware of what the pond inhabitates, I'd say that a large pond, small fish is probably the better configuration.
  6. Nov 24, 2004 #5
    BIG fish, large ocean :D
  7. Nov 24, 2004 #6
    small fish, large ocean.

im not someone who likes to be confined to places. if i was a big fish in a small pond i would get bored with my life.i love exploring. and the ocean is not something that we totally know as humans, it would be interesting to explore. :smile:
  8. Nov 24, 2004 #7
    I can't swim in a dichotomy

I'd like to be a medium size fish in a average size body of water. :approve:

*but the bowless bowl is pretty good, glub glub*
  9. Nov 25, 2004 #8

Gold Member

Yay, multiple choice questions!
    I will resist the urge to cheat [cough]3mpathyBoulderHead[/cough] and choose small fish, large ocean, assuming it has the greater population and lower population density.
  10. Nov 25, 2004 #9
    Fine... ill give it a decent answer. small fish+large body of water. i like to explorethings too, but since there are bigger fish in the sea i guess that id have a good chance of being eaten :( i guess it would be worth it considering if i stayed alive as the other choice id be bored out of my mind.
  11. Nov 26, 2004 #10
    this is sort of a question that examies how far u would gp for freedom
    big fish small pond...u r the king of the world but yr kingdom is limited
    small fish big ocean..u r small fry but u r free to roam the 4 corner of the world...
    so which is better?
    tough question...
  12. Nov 26, 2004 #11
    Small fish in a large ocean.

That way, if i ever have any good effect on the population, i will change the lives of many instead of only a couple. More satisfaction.
  13. Nov 28, 2004 #12

Gold Member

Not to be a downer, but this is also true of any bad effect you have :frown:

This is another philosophical question stated in "real world" terms (like the chicken and egg). The question seems to be about the balance between liberty and security, and which one you value more; Big fish, small pond= more security, less liberty, and vice versa. I think the "real world" phrasing does more harm than good by opening the door to misinterpretation and irrelevant solutions, but that's another thread.
  14. Nov 28, 2004 #13
    the reason y i dun wanna include the real world thingy is that i wanna c how ppl respond to a question phrased in a diff manner...
    and hey i get wat i wan..haha
  15. Nov 28, 2004 #14
    yes but it's nice to know that he is THAT optimistic of himself, his life, and the effects on society to think that what he does or can do will have a postive effect right? i mean if he's that confident in himself then maybe he really does have positive effects...nice to know there are people like that out there right?:blushing:
  16. Nov 29, 2004 #15

Gold Member

Yes, it's possible and nice :approve:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?