Showing f is a Bijection on a Group

Additionally, since f(x')=x for all x in G, we can see that for any y in G, f(x*y)=y' which shows that f is a bijection. In summary, the function f: G to G defined by f(x) = x' is a bijection, with its inverse being f-1(x')=x. This is because the inverse of the inverse of a group element is the group element itself, and for any y in G, f(x*y)=y'.
Gale
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let (G,*) be a group, and denote the inverse of an element x
by x'. Show that f: G to G defi ned by f(x) = x' is a bijection,
by explicitly writing down an inverse. Given x, y in G, what is
f(x *y)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I think I'm just over thinking this... because it seems obvious that f is a bijection, since any function that has an inverse is bijective, and f obviously has an inverse where f-1(x')=x. And since x' and x are both in G, and G is a group then f-1 is well defined. But I keep having trouble with how to write proofs like this. Could someone help me out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing something like: "Notice that [itex]f \circ f = \mathrm{id}_G[/itex] and this implies that [itex]f[/itex] is a bijection."

Yes, since the inverse of the inverse of a group element is the group element itself so this function is its own inverse.

What is a bijection on a group?

A bijection on a group is a function that maps each element in a group to a unique element in that same group. This means that each element in the group has a corresponding element that it is mapped to, and no two elements are mapped to the same element.

How can I show that a function is a bijection on a group?

To show that a function is a bijection on a group, you need to prove that it is both injective and surjective. This means that the function must map distinct elements to distinct elements, and all elements in the group must have a corresponding element that they are mapped to.

Why is it important to show that a function is a bijection on a group?

Showing that a function is a bijection on a group is important because it guarantees that the function has an inverse, and therefore is bijective. This is useful in many mathematical proofs and applications.

What are some common methods used to show that a function is a bijection on a group?

There are several common methods used to show that a function is a bijection on a group. These include using the definition of injectivity and surjectivity, using the properties of groups, and using algebraic manipulations to show that the function has an inverse.

Can a function be a bijection on a group if the group is infinite?

Yes, a function can be a bijection on a group even if the group is infinite. As long as the function satisfies the properties of injectivity and surjectivity, it can be considered a bijection on the group.