berkeman said:
There are two situations where I've had trouble with countersteering. ... The first is something I've mentioned earlier in the thread. When you get into an emergency situation (get into a decreasing radius turn too hot, or have cars cut in front of you requiring a hard swerve and braking, etc.), it's natural for your arms to tense some. But since countersteering requires you to use your arms to turn, the tensing impedes your ability to turn well. With body steering, you basically move your body to tighten up the turn radius, or jump to the side to swerve quickly.
In the case of an unexpected decreasing radius turn, if you've already body steered to lean into the original turn, and you're now hanging off the inside of the bike in a turn, how do you "body steer" any further in order to increase the lean angle?
I have a 2001 Suzuki Hayabusa, I'm already applying some amount of outwards torque on the handlebars to to maintain a lean angle (otherwise it tries to straighten up, depedning on the speed). On my bike, the front tire is steering inwards, but I use some outwards torque so it steers less inwards than the steering geomety would otherwise tend to do on it's own. If I need more lean angle I just increase the outwards torque on the handle bars, or vice versa, it's almost instinctive now. Most of my weight is on the seat and handlebars, not the pegs.
For those of you who ride MX or dirtbikes.
MX or dirtbikes have a lot of trail. Keith Code readily admits his dirt bikes can be easily steered by body leaning, or weigh shifting with most of the weight on the pegs. It's the 600 cc road racer replica no bs bike with a small amount of trail that is difficult to lean by body steering, without playing games with the throttle (that could be indicating some swing arm play if throttle is affecting cornering response).
Getting back to road racing bikes as speeds increase, they tend to be less responsive to body leaning or weight shifting due to gyroscopic forces resisting any lean angle change without a lot of counter-steering torque applied to the handlebars. At 100 + mph => 160 + kph, the response rate to body leaning or weight shifting is so slow that it's almost imperceptible. The tendency to straighten up on my bike also goes away, it's neutral and just tends to hold a lean angle until I apply considerable countersteering torque on the handlebars , and the amount of counter steering effort to straighten up is about the same as it is to lean over.
Back to sport bikes in general, I find I can ride them similar to classic Formula 1 racers, keeping my body in the middle and tucked in behind the windscreen, so my body is motionless relative to the bike, only using countersteering inputs to change lean angle. I can also hang off like current motorcycle racers. One method I don't understand is some of them now swing one leg outwards during corner approach.