1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bilinear maps and inner product

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are given a linear map f, f:R2xR2->R. f has the following properties:
    1)It is linear for the changes of the first variable
    2)It is linear for the changes of the second variable
    3)f((3,8),(3,8))=13

We are asked to say if f is anyhow related to the normal inner product of R2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the inner product of R2 is a bilinear map like f. If f actually WAS the linear product then it should be f((3,8),(3,8))=73. Perhaps I could say that f is the inner product, multiplied by some value? I dont really understand the question, but I have posted it exactly as stated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean if it really were the inner product. A bilinear map can have any value at all on pairs of basis vectors and then is determined for all other pairs. In particular, a bilinear map on R2 must be of the form f((a,b)(c,d))= k1ac+ k2bc+ k3ad+ k4bd. The "normal inner product of R2" is the specific bilinear form f((a,b),(c,d)= ac+ bd. In other words, k1= k4= 1 and k2= k3= 0.

Here, we know only that f((3,8),(3,8))= 9k1+ 24(k2+ k3)+ 64k4= 13. There are, of course, an infinite number of choices for the k's that would give that. I see know way, on the basis of a single value, to say that it is "related" to the inner product any more than any other bilinear map,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook