Binary Relations and Equivalence Classes | Proving R is an Equivalence Relation

In summary: No, we don't have that $\cos(x)=\cos(-x)$ since $\cos(-x)=-\cos(x)$.So the equivalence classes are $[x]+2k\pi$, $[-x]+2k\pi$, and everything else.
JProgrammer
So the question I am trying to solve is this:

Define a binary relation R on R as follows: R={(x,y)∈ R×R:cos⁡(x)=cos⁡(y)}
Prove that R is an equivalence relation, and determine its equivalence classes.

I've figured out the first two requirements for being a binary relation:

1. cos(x) = cos(x)
2. cos(x) = cos(x + 2kpi)

I don't know how to go about solving the third requirement for being a binary relation because there is no z to work with.
If someone could show me how to find the third requirement, that would be great.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
JProgrammer said:
So the question I am trying to solve is this:

Define a binary relation R on R as follows: R={(x,y)∈ R×R:cos⁡(x)=cos⁡(y)}
Prove that R is an equivalence relation, and determine its equivalence classes.

I've figured out the first two requirements for being a binary relation:

1. cos(x) = cos(x)
2. cos(x) = cos(x + 2kpi)

I don't know how to go about solving the third requirement for being a binary relation because there is no z to work with.
If someone could show me how to find the third requirement, that would be great.

Thank you

Hi JProgrammer! Welcome to MHB! ;)

From wiki, an equivalence relation requires:

For all a, b and c in X:
1. a ~ a. (Reflexivity)
2. a ~ b if and only if b ~ a. (Symmetry)
3. if a ~ b and b ~ c then a ~ c. (Transitivity)

The equivalence class of a under ~, denoted [a], is defined as $[a]=\{b\in X\mid a\sim b\}$.​

You have shown the first, since indeed for any $x$ we have $\cos x = \cos x$.
Can you show 2 and 3, and can you find the equivalence classes?

You have shown the first said:
I don't understand what you mean. For the symmetric requirement, I have shown it as: cos(x) = cos(x + 2kx). As for the transitive requirement, that is what I need help with. I don't know what that would be since there is no z to work with.

Also, I don't know how to find the equivalence classes.

JProgrammer said:
I don't understand what you mean. For the symmetric requirement, I have shown it as: cos(x) = cos(x + 2kx). As for the transitive requirement, that is what I need help with. I don't know what that would be since there is no z to work with.

Also, I don't know how to find the equivalence classes.

Ah, but that is not symmetry.
For symmetry we need that for all $x,y$ we have that $xRy$ if and only if $yRx$.
That means that for all $x,y$ we need that $\cos x = \cos y$ if and only if $\cos y = \cos x$.
This is trivially true. It follows from how the equal sign ($=$) is defined, which is also an equivalence relation.

For transitivity we need that for all $x,y,z$ we have that if $\cos x = \cos y$ and $\cos y=\cos z$, that we also have that $\cos x = \cos z$.
Again, this is trivially true.

That leaves the equivalence classes.
You have found that $x$ is equivalent to $x+2k\pi$, since $\cos(x) = \cos(x+2k\pi)$.
So that might suggest that $[x]=\{x+2k\pi \mid k\in \mathbb Z\}$.
But how about $-x$? Don't we have that $\cos(x)=\cos(-x)$?
That would imply that $-x$ should also be in the equivalence class $[x]$. (Worried)

1. What is a binary relation?

A binary relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two elements in a set. It can be represented as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element is related to the second element in some way.

2. What are the different types of binary relations?

There are several types of binary relations, including reflexive, symmetric, transitive, and antisymmetric. Reflexive relations are those where every element is related to itself. Symmetric relations are those where if element A is related to element B, then element B is also related to element A. Transitive relations are those where if element A is related to element B and element B is related to element C, then element A is also related to element C. Antisymmetric relations are those where if element A is related to element B and element B is related to element A, then A must be equal to B.

3. How are binary relations represented?

Binary relations can be represented in various ways, such as using tables, graphs, or matrices. They can also be represented symbolically using mathematical notation or written in words.

4. What is the difference between a binary relation and a function?

A function is a special type of binary relation where each element in the first set is related to exactly one element in the second set. In other words, there are no repeating first elements in a function. Binary relations, on the other hand, do not have this restriction, and an element in the first set can be related to multiple elements in the second set.

5. How are binary relations used in real life?

Binary relations are used in various fields, including mathematics, computer science, and social sciences. They can be used to model relationships between objects or concepts, such as the relationship between a parent and child, or the relationship between two variables in a mathematical equation. They are also used in decision-making processes, such as in voting systems or in ranking algorithms.