1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Binding energy of the alpha particle

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the difference between the binding energy of a nucleus of carbon 12 and the sum of the binding energies of three alpha particles. Assuming the carbon 12 is composed of three alpha particles in a triangular structure, with three effective "alpha bonds" joining them, what is the binding energy per alpha bond?

2. Relevant equations
    I have calculated the binding energy for the alpha particles using the liquid drop model and using BE = (A-Z)mn + Zmp - ma (where mn is the mass of the neutron, mp that of the proton and ma that of the atom in question). When I do it the latter way, I get around 23 MeV, and when I do it the former way I get around 28 MeV which according to my googling is the corrent answer. I'm wondering why this would be so?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Also, assuming we use the first equation for BE, then the different between the two binding energies is 0 (since we would have 3 times the BE for an alpha particle equals the binding energy of carbon 12). This doesn't seem right to me.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    W. =)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2
    The liquid drop model is an approximation. Using the difference in masses to calculate the binding energy is exact (assuming you know the masses exactly).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook