Bingo game at the nearby nursing home

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Home
In summary, the conversation discusses the odds of a bingo player filling all 25 spaces on their card with 17 numbers yet to be called. The total number of games possible is 75!, and the total number of ways for a blackout to occur after 58 numbers have been called is C(51,34)/C(75,58). This equates to a probability of .0004977832. The conversation also touches on the strategy of waiting to call "BINGO!" until the last possible moment to increase the chances of winning.
Loren Booda
I run a bingo game at the nearby nursing home. The other day a lady covered all of the 25 [5x5] spaces on her card with 17 numbers yet to call. If there are 75 numbers to call at the beginning of the game, and the numbers are distributed in columns randomly among 1-15 under "B," 16-30 under "I," 31-45 under "N," 46-60 under "G," and 61-75 under "O" on a given card (with a "free" space in the central square), what are the odds that she could cover her card with at least 17 numbers to call?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Give this another try, mathematicians; approximate if necessary. The lady at the nursing home for whom these odds occurred (and I, too) are quite curious as to what they might actually be. My guess is 1:5,000 to 1:10,000 games have such a coincidence.

Meh, I'll stick out my neck to try to get something going. Maybe it would be easiest to start with all the permutations of your set of 75 numbers since you presumably want the 58th number to be one of the 24 on your card. A game is just a permutation of those 75 numbers. There are 75! games. I can see at least two questions that you might be asking (which, for all I khow, might be the same question). For a given game, how many cards would be filled on the 58th turn? For a given card, how many games would fill it on the 58th turn?

Can the same number appear more than once on a card?

Last edited:
I'd like to know what the probability is of covering all 25 spaces WITHOUT shouting BINGO??

honestrosewater,

A given number can appear only once on a card (in the appropriate column, too), as your factorial seems to indicate.

My question is for a given card.

Thanks.

Tide said:
I'd like to know what the probability is of covering all 25 spaces WITHOUT shouting BINGO??

Well, if you get a line, and there is still 50 calls left, you don't shout BINGO!

17 calls left is still quite a bit.

JasonRox said:
Well, if you get a line, and there is still 50 calls left, you don't shout BINGO!

17 calls left is still quite a bit.

I thought the object was just to fill a line - shows how much I know about BINGO! :)

Tide said:
I thought the object was just to fill a line - shows how much I know about BINGO! :)

If you get a line early on during the game, you wait.

You have to be quick though. So that when someone calls BINGO!, you call it quickly afterwards.

That way it was a tie, and you also took the chance to try and win more.

Note: I don't play BINGO!

There's usually a free space, so 24 numbers on the card and 51 not on it right? With 58 numbers called you'd have C(51,34) ways of having a black out, the total number of ways the 34 of the 51 numbers off the card can be called. There are C(75,58) ways to choose 58 numbers, so the probability of a blackout after 58 numbers would be C(51,34)/C(75,58)=.0004977832...

This is including the event that you had a blackout before call 58 as well.

(here C(n,r)=n!/(r!(n-r)!) is the usual "n choose r")

Thanks for wresting an answer, shmoe! I do believe it's approximate, though. Shouldn't each column (B, I, G, O) be treated individually as 5 chances out of 15, excepting column N, 4 chances out of 15?

No, it's exact. With respect to a blackout, your bingo card is just a subset of 24 numbers from the 75, the columns don't matter (nor do the positions within the columns). Of course not all subsets of these 24 numbers can form a valid bingo card due to the column restrictions, but that's not relevant here.

If you'd like a second opinion, see:

http://wizardofodds.com/bingo

That's quite a second opinion! Thanks times two, shmoe.

1. What is the purpose of the Bingo game at the nearby nursing home?

The purpose of the Bingo game at the nearby nursing home is to provide entertainment and socialization for the residents. It can also help improve cognitive skills and memory for the elderly.

2. Who is eligible to play Bingo at the nearby nursing home?

The Bingo game at the nearby nursing home is open to all residents of the nursing home. Some nursing homes may also allow family members of residents to participate.

3. How often is the Bingo game held at the nearby nursing home?

The frequency of the Bingo game at the nearby nursing home may vary, but it is typically held on a weekly basis. Some nursing homes may also have multiple Bingo games throughout the week.

4. Are there any prizes for winning at Bingo in the nearby nursing home?

Yes, there are usually small prizes for winning at Bingo in the nearby nursing home. These prizes can range from snacks to small trinkets or gift cards.

5. Can visitors participate in the Bingo game at the nearby nursing home?

It depends on the policies of the specific nursing home. Some may allow visitors to participate, while others may only allow residents to play. It is best to check with the nursing home beforehand.