Medical Binocular vision

TubbaBlubba

What I can say in regards to the value of binocular vision is that after having a recent eye surgery (for retinal detachment) and being forced to rely on my left eye for a while, is that reading was very, very stressing in the long term for the eye since I ended up staring into the text rather than looking at it and reading it. I think this is related to depth perception. Of course, it might just be a habitary thing.

I have binocular vision so I decided i could help.

I can easily stare at one object and make it split into two and back into one. The longer the object may be, the harder it is to split. If you dont have it you can simply do this: Stare at one object, close you left eye and keep staring, then shift by opening your left eye and colosing the right. Notice the object moved becuase your eyes have different views. I can look at an object in two different views and yes the both look the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone,

If we have 2 eyes how come we don't see 2 objects?
So we can pick up our one coffee cup without making a total *** out of ourself.

Just a thought...

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
So we can pick up our one coffee cup without making a total *** out of ourself.

Just a thought...
So rabbits can't drink coffee!!
How racist.

Don't all mammals have binocular vision? :confused:
No, anything on the tastyend of the food chain tends to have eyes further part so they can see a wider field but have no overlap - like cows, and to an extent horses.

bobze

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have binocular vision so I decided i could help.

I can easily stare at one object and make it split into two and back into one. The longer the object may be, the harder it is to split. If you dont have it you can simply do this: Stare at one object, close you left eye and keep staring, then shift by opening your left eye and colosing the right. Notice the object moved becuase your eyes have different views. I can look at an object in two different views and yes the both look the same.
This isn't "binocular vision", this is double vision-Called Diplopia. Its not a special ability that people have, anyone who can "cross their eyes" can do it (ie; most people). However, in cases where it isn't purposefully done it can be sign of dangerous medical problems (or one too many drinks at the bar).