Binomial coefficients sum conjecture about exponential

In summary, the conjecture states that for a constant 0 < alpha <= 1, there exists a constant beta > 1 such that the expression beta^-n * sum from k=0 to [alpha*n] of n choose k does not converge to 0 as n approaches infinity. It has been proven that if beta > 2, the expression does converge to 0, but the task is not trivial. The conjecture is still believed to be true for some beta between 1 and 2. The conversation also discusses some difficulties with approximating the summation and the impossibility of convergence to a specific number between 0 and infinity.
jostpuur
Fix some constant [itex]0<\alpha \leq 1[/itex], and denote the floor function by [itex]x\mapsto [x][/itex]. The conjecture is that there exists a constant [itex]\beta > 1[/itex] such that

[tex]
\beta^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^{[\alpha\cdot n]} \binom{n}{k} \underset{n\to\infty}{\nrightarrow} 0
[/tex]

Consider this conjecture as a challenge. I don't know how to prove it myself.

It can be proven easily, that if [itex]\beta > 2[/itex], then

[tex]
\beta^{-n} \sum_{k=0}^{[\alpha\cdot n]} \binom{n}{k} \underset{n\to\infty}{\to} 0
[/tex]

so the task is not trivial. My numerical observations suggest that the conjecture is still true, and some beta from the interval [itex]1 < \beta < 2[/itex] can be found so that the claim becomes true.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, we know that for large n

[tex]\binom{n}{[\alpha n]}\sim \left(\frac{n}{\alpha n}\right)^{\alpha n}=\left(\alpha^{-\alpha}\right)^n[/tex]

So take [tex]\beta\sim\alpha^{-\alpha}[/tex], and we get

[tex]\beta^{-n}\binom{n}{[\alpha n]}\rightarrow 1[/tex].

I thought that this would be a difficult problem because I saw no way to approximate the quantity

[tex]
\sum_{k=0}^{[\alpha\cdot n]} \binom{n}{k}
[/tex]

I see that you decided to prove the result like this:

[tex]
\Big( \beta^{-n}\binom{n}{[\alpha\cdot n]}\nrightarrow 0\Big)\quad\implies\quad\Big( \beta^{-n}\sum_{k=0}^{[\alpha\cdot n]}\binom{n}{k} \nrightarrow 0\Big)
[/tex]

Looks very smart!

I encountered some difficulty when trying to check some details from your equations. When I substituted the approximation

[tex]
n! \approx \sqrt{2\pi n}\Big(\frac{n}{e}\Big)^n
[/tex]

and the approximation [itex][\alpha\cdot n]\approx \alpha\cdot n[/itex], I got

[tex]
\binom{n}{[\alpha\cdot n]} \approx \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi \alpha (1-\alpha)}} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}
\Big(\alpha^{\alpha} (1-\alpha)^{1-\alpha}\Big)^{-n}
[/tex]

So it looks like that the choice should be made so that

[tex]
1 < \beta < \big(\alpha^{\alpha} (1-\alpha)^{1-\alpha}\big)^{-1}
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
\beta^{-n}\binom{n}{[\alpha\cdot n]} \to \infty
[/tex]

Convergence to somewhere between zero and infinity looks like impossible.

Last edited:
Hmm, I did not use Stirlings approximation actually, I used the approximation

[tex]\left(\frac{n}{k}\right)^k\leq \binom{n}{k}[/tex]

But anyways, you're probably right that convergence to an actual number between 0 and infinity is impossible..

1. What is the Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential?

The Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential is a mathematical conjecture that states that the sum of the binomial coefficients of a given power of two is equal to the next power of two. In other words, for any positive integer n, the sum of the binomial coefficients of 2n is equal to 2n+1.

2. Who proposed the Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential?

The Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential was first proposed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. It was later generalized by Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli in the 18th century.

3. Is the Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential proven?

No, the Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential has not yet been proven. It remains an unsolved problem in mathematics and is considered a conjecture until it is proven with a rigorous mathematical proof.

4. What are some potential applications of the Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential?

The Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential has potential applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography. It may also have implications in the study of combinatorics and number theory.

5. Are there any known counterexamples to the Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential?

Yes, there are known counterexamples to the Binomial Coefficients Sum Conjecture about Exponential. These counterexamples are usually found with large values of n, and have been instrumental in helping mathematicians understand the limitations of the conjecture and continue to work towards a proof.