Binomial Expansion: Evaluating Coefficient from two binomials

In summary, to find the coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (3-5x)(1+1/3)^18, we need to consider the coefficients of the x^2 and x^3 terms in the expansion of (1+1/3)^18, which are 17 and 272/9 respectively. Then, we multiply the coefficient of x^2 (17) by the coefficient of x^1 (-5) in the first binomial, which gives us -85. Adding this to the coefficient of x^3 (272/9), we get a final coefficient of x^3 of 17/3.
AN630078
Homework Statement
Hello, I have been practising binomial expansion problems, specifically related to finding the coefficient of values of x. I came across the problem below and found that I rather confused myself in solving it. Could anyone evaluate my method to suggest if there are any improvements to be made here? I would be very grateful😁

Find the coefficient of x^3 in the expansion of (3-5x)(1+1/3x)^18
Relevant Equations
nCr
So I think I may be overcomplicating this problem but I realize that in order to find the x^3 term it will be the product of the two binomials, ie. x^1*x^2=x^3. The coefficient of x^3 will be the coefficient of x^1 in the first bracket multiplied by the coefficient of x^2 in the second bracket.
Since the first binomial is to the power of 1 we can assume the value of the x term if the second binomial is x^2.
So the next step would be finding when this occurs in (1+1/3)^18:
18C2* (1)^16*(1/3x)^2=153*1*1/9x^2
Then multiply this by the first bracket:
(3-5x)(153*1*1/9x^2)=-255 x^3

So the coefficient of x^3 would be -255.

Would this be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting about the contribution of the ## x^3 ## term in the expansion of ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ## which will be multiplied with the 3 from the preceding binomial

In your first binomial ## (3 - 5x) ## you have ## 3x^0 ## and ## -5x^1##. You are looking for the final coefficient of ## x^3 ## so you need to look for both the ## x^2 ## and ## x^3 ## terms in ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ##.

Hope that makes some sense. If not, then I am happy to clarify.

[EDIT]: Apologies, I typed the same binomial out twice, have corrected it now. However, the method still stands as suggested.

Master1022 said:
You are forgetting about the contribution of the ## x^3 ## term in the expansion of ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ## which will be multiplied with the 3 from the preceding binomial

In your first binomial ## (3 - 5x) ## you have ## 3x^0 ## and ## -5x^1##. You are looking for the final coefficient of ## x^3 ## so you need to look for both the ## x^2 ## and ## x^3 ## terms in ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ##.

Hope that makes some sense. If not, then I am happy to clarify.

[EDIT]: Apologies, I typed the same binomial out twice, have corrected it now. However, the method still stands as suggested.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry I am a little confused, could you elaborate further?

AN630078 said:
Thank you for your reply. Sorry I am a little confused, could you elaborate further?

Sure, so when you expand ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ## we will get something like ## a_0 + a_1 x^1 + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3 + ... ##. When we multiply that by ## (3 - 5x) ##, the ## -5x ## will combine with the ## a_2 x^2 ## term to make ## -5 a_2 x^3 ## and the ## 3 ## will combine with ## a_3 x^3 ## to form ## 3 a_3 x^3 ##. Thus the resulting coefficient of ## x^3 ## is ## (-5 a_2 + 3 a_3 ) ##. That means we will need to consider the coefficients of the ## x^2 ## and ## x^3 ## terms in the expansion of ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ##

Last edited:
Likes AN630078, etotheipi and SammyS
Master1022 said:
Sure, so when you expand ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ## we will get something like ## a_0 + a_1 x^1 + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3 + ... ##. When we multiply that by ## (3 - 5x) ##, the ## -5x ## will combine with the ## a_2 x^2 ## term to make ## -5 a_2 x^3 ## and the ## 3 ## will combine with ## a_3 x^3 ## to form ## 3 a_3 x^3 ##. Thus the resulting coefficient of ## x^3 ## is ## (-5 a_2 + 3 a_3 ) ##. That means we will need to consider the coefficients of the ## x^2 ## and ## x^3 ## terms in the expansion of ## (1 + \frac{1}{3} x)^{18} ##
Thank you for reply. Admittedly, I am still a little confused but far less than I was. I think I understand what you mean though.
So I should use the binomial formula to expand (1+1/3)^18=1+6x+17x^2+272x^3/9+340x64/9...
Then multiply this by the first bracket:
(3-5x)(1+6x+17x^2+272x^3/9+...)
Which if you expand the brackets is equal to;
3(1+6x+17x^2+272x^3/9+...)-5x(1+6x+17x^2+272x^3/9+...)
3+18x+51x^2+272x^3/3-5x-30x^2-85x^3-1360x^4/9
3+13x+21x^2+17x^3/3-1360x^4/9

So would the coefficient of x^3 would be 17/3?

You didn't need to write out all those terms.
As already explained by Master 1022 who has almost answered the problem question for you, there are only two terms in the expansion of the second bracket that are going to give you a x3 term after multiplication by the first bracket.

(Hope you have copied out the original question complete with its brackets correctly.)

Likes AN630078
epenguin said:
You didn't need to write out all those terms.
As already explained by Master 1022 who has almost answered the problem question for you, there are only two terms in the expansion of the second bracket that are going to give you a x3 term after multiplication by the first bracket.

(Hope you have copied out the original question complete with its brackets correctly.)
Thank you for your. Oh, so I only need to gather the like terms of x^3;

(3*272x^3/9)+(-5x*17x^2)=17x^3/3
Therefore, the coefficient of x^3 is 17/3

Yes I get the same result.

1. What is binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical process used to expand a binomial expression, which is an expression with two terms, to a higher power. It involves multiplying the binomial by itself a certain number of times and simplifying the resulting expression.

2. How do you evaluate coefficients from two binomials?

To evaluate coefficients from two binomials, you can use the binomial theorem or Pascal's triangle. The binomial theorem is a formula that allows you to find the coefficients of a binomial expansion, while Pascal's triangle is a visual tool that helps you determine the coefficients by looking at the patterns in the triangle.

3. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula that allows you to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It states that the coefficient of each term in the expansion can be found by using the combination formula, where the exponent of the first term decreases by one and the exponent of the second term increases by one for each subsequent term.

4. How is Pascal's triangle used in binomial expansion?

Pascal's triangle is a visual tool that helps you determine the coefficients of a binomial expansion. Each row in the triangle represents the coefficients of the expansion for a specific power, and the numbers in each row are determined by adding the two numbers above it. The first and last numbers in each row are always 1, and the remaining numbers are the coefficients of the expansion.

5. What are some real-world applications of binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion has many real-world applications, such as in probability and statistics, finance, and physics. It can be used to calculate the probability of a certain outcome in a series of events, determine the growth of investments over time, and model the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. It is also used in fields such as engineering, biology, and computer science.