1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biochemistry - Calvin Cycle Question

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An illuminated suspension of chloroplasts is actively carrying out photosynthesis. What would happen to the levels of 3-phosphoglycerate and Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate if the light was suddenly switched off?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that the answer would be that the levels of 3-phosphoglycerate and Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate would decrease because the CO2 that is fed into the Calvin Cycle to make these compounds comes from the light-dependent reactions. Also, 3 of the enzymes in the stroma that regulate the Calvin Cycle are light-dependent as well.

However, someone told me that the 3-phosphoglycerate levels would increase instead. I was wondering if someone could please tell me why this would happen?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

This statement is incorrect. There are two important molecules that are produced by the light-dependent reactions. What are they and how might removing them affect the Calvin cycle?

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Sorry, I don't know why I said that. The molecules that are produced by the light-dependent reactions are ATP and NADPH. I know that you need both to make Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate in the Calvin Cycle, so that means shutting off the light would decrease the levels of Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate.

However, ATP and NADPH are NOT needed to make 3-Phosphoglycerate. So I am still not sure how shutting off the lights would effect the levels of this compound.....If you could please clarify this for me I would really appreciate it!

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Think of the reactions that produce 3-PG and those that use up 3-PG. Which reactions are dependent on ATP and NADPH and which ones do not require these compounds?

6. Mar 20, 2010 #5
    had a question like this on bio exam. Remember that Carbon fixation is still occuring but the rest of the cycle is not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook