• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Biochemistry - Calvin Cycle Question

• Thread starter persephone
  • Start date

Homework Statement

An illuminated suspension of chloroplasts is actively carrying out photosynthesis. What would happen to the levels of 3-phosphoglycerate and Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate if the light was suddenly switched off?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the answer would be that the levels of 3-phosphoglycerate and Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate would decrease because the CO2 that is fed into the Calvin Cycle to make these compounds comes from the light-dependent reactions. Also, 3 of the enzymes in the stroma that regulate the Calvin Cycle are light-dependent as well.

However, someone told me that the 3-phosphoglycerate levels would increase instead. I was wondering if someone could please tell me why this would happen?

Thanks in advance!

Answers and Replies

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
the CO2 that is fed into the Calvin Cycle to make these compounds comes from the light-dependent reactions.
This statement is incorrect. There are two important molecules that are produced by the light-dependent reactions. What are they and how might removing them affect the Calvin cycle?

This statement is incorrect. There are two important molecules that are produced by the light-dependent reactions. What are they and how might removing them affect the Calvin cycle?
Sorry, I don't know why I said that. The molecules that are produced by the light-dependent reactions are ATP and NADPH. I know that you need both to make Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate in the Calvin Cycle, so that means shutting off the light would decrease the levels of Ribulose 1,5-Bisphosphate.

However, ATP and NADPH are NOT needed to make 3-Phosphoglycerate. So I am still not sure how shutting off the lights would effect the levels of this compound.....If you could please clarify this for me I would really appreciate it!

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Think of the reactions that produce 3-PG and those that use up 3-PG. Which reactions are dependent on ATP and NADPH and which ones do not require these compounds?

had a question like this on bio exam. Remember that Carbon fixation is still occuring but the rest of the cycle is not.