Preparing for Med School: A Freshman's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's plans to attend medical school after graduating with a major in Biology from the University of Texas at San Antonio. The student is seeking advice on how to prepare for the MCAT test and improve their studying techniques, and a suggestion is made to review Khan Academy's collection of videos on the topic.
Burak Sisman
Hey yall. I am currently majoring in Biology at the University of Texas at San Antonio. I have plans to go to med school after I graduate and I am currently a freshman. As far as now, what can I start doing early to get myself prepared for the mcat test and other things I need to do prior to looking forward to med school? I also need some tips on studying techniques and some books that might help me to improve my reading and understanding skills. I would appreciate if any of you guys can give a piece of advice and help me through. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What classes should I take in my freshman year to prepare for med school?

In order to prepare for med school, it is important to take a strong foundation of science and math courses. This includes courses such as biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus. Additionally, it may be beneficial to take courses in psychology and sociology to gain an understanding of the human mind and behavior.

2. How can I gain relevant experience in the medical field as a freshman?

One way to gain experience in the medical field as a freshman is to volunteer at a local hospital or clinic. You can also shadow a doctor or healthcare professional to gain insight into the day-to-day life of a medical practitioner. Additionally, you can participate in research opportunities or internships related to the medical field.

3. What extracurricular activities should I participate in to stand out as a med school applicant?

Medical schools are looking for well-rounded applicants, so it is important to participate in extracurricular activities that demonstrate your leadership, teamwork, and communication skills. This can include clubs, sports teams, community service projects, and research opportunities. It is important to choose activities that you are passionate about and can dedicate a significant amount of time to.

4. How important is my GPA in the med school application process?

Your GPA is an important factor in the med school application process, as it demonstrates your academic abilities and work ethic. However, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. They also take into account your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. It is important to strive for a high GPA, but also to focus on other aspects of your application.

5. What resources are available to help me prepare for the MCAT?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for the MCAT, including review books, online study materials, and prep courses. Many universities also offer MCAT prep courses or have a pre-health advising center that can provide guidance and resources. It is important to start studying early and consistently in order to achieve a high score on the MCAT.