Biology or Chem: which degree is more employable?

In summary, both biochemistry and chemistry majors are in demand, but the job market may be slightly more competitive for biochemistry majors. There are also more job opportunities for chemistry majors, but they may not be as exciting as other fields. Additionally, there is a perception that bio majors are not as successful as other majors, even with a PhD.
avant-garde
Which grads are in greater demand right now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what precisely are you doing?

avant-garde said:
Which grads are in greater demand right now?

Both are equally employable. For best effect, do a biochemistry major

From my limited experience of a physics major with a chem minor, there are probably more "jobs" to less graduates than in chem. (it may be because i am in new england and it may be a geographical anomaly but there are a lot of bio majors.) Also the jobs you might end up with with a chem major pay well but don't sound very exciting to me. That is mostly the chem company sales rep. side of things I have already been approached by the chem salesmen that sell to company my parents work for.

I'd be inclined to say chem. There are WAY too many bio degrees out there.

maverick_starstrider said:
I'd be inclined to say chem. There are WAY too many bio degrees out there.

I concur with this statement. Unless you have a PhD, people that have bio degrees are often thought to be people who couldn't make it to med school.

Topher925 said:
I concur with this statement. Unless you have a PhD, people that have bio degrees are often thought to be people who couldn't make it to med school.

Even if you do have PhD's I've heard of fresh PhD grads in bio starting at $30,000 in industry

Pretty sure the market is constantly saturated with bio majors. Its one of the "I don't know what to do" majors, along with econ and psych.

1. Which degree, biology or chemistry, has a better job outlook?

The job outlook for both biology and chemistry degrees is strong, with steady growth projected in both fields. However, the specific job opportunities and demand may vary depending on the current trends and needs in the job market. It is important to research and consider your personal interests and strengths when choosing a degree.

2. Can I get a job with a biology or chemistry degree without pursuing further education?

Yes, there are many job opportunities available for individuals with a bachelor's degree in biology or chemistry. Some common career paths include laboratory research, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and environmental science. However, pursuing higher education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, may open up more specialized and higher-paying job opportunities.

3. Are there any differences in job opportunities between a biology and chemistry degree?

While there may be some overlap in job opportunities, biology and chemistry degrees can lead to different career paths. Biology degrees tend to focus more on living organisms and their processes, while chemistry degrees focus on the composition and properties of substances. Therefore, job opportunities may differ depending on your specific area of interest within these fields.

4. Is it possible to have a career that combines both biology and chemistry?

Yes, there are many careers that utilize both biology and chemistry knowledge and skills. For example, careers in biotechnology, forensic science, and environmental toxicology often require a strong understanding of both disciplines. Additionally, many research positions involve a combination of biology and chemistry concepts.

5. How can I make myself more employable with a biology or chemistry degree?

There are many ways to make yourself more employable with a biology or chemistry degree. Some suggestions include gaining practical experience through internships or research opportunities, networking with professionals in your field, and continuing your education with advanced degrees or certifications. It is also important to develop strong skills in communication, critical thinking, and problem-solving, which are highly valued in both biology and chemistry careers.