Biology or Chem: which degree is more employable?

  • Topic: Programs 
  • Thread starter Thread starter avant-garde
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Biology Chem Degree
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
avant-garde
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
Which grads are in greater demand right now?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
avant-garde said:
Which grads are in greater demand right now?

Both are equally employable. For best effect, do a biochemistry major
 
From my limited experience of a physics major with a chem minor, there are probably more "jobs" to less graduates than in chem. (it may be because i am in new england and it may be a geographical anomaly but there are a lot of bio majors.) Also the jobs you might end up with with a chem major pay well but don't sound very exciting to me. That is mostly the chem company sales rep. side of things I have already been approached by the chem salesmen that sell to company my parents work for.
 
I'd be inclined to say chem. There are WAY too many bio degrees out there.
 
maverick_starstrider said:
I'd be inclined to say chem. There are WAY too many bio degrees out there.

I concur with this statement. Unless you have a PhD, people that have bio degrees are often thought to be people who couldn't make it to med school.
 
Topher925 said:
I concur with this statement. Unless you have a PhD, people that have bio degrees are often thought to be people who couldn't make it to med school.

Even if you do have PhD's I've heard of fresh PhD grads in bio starting at $30,000 in industry
 
Pretty sure the market is constantly saturated with bio majors. Its one of the "I don't know what to do" majors, along with econ and psych.