1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology or Chem: which degree is more employable?

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    Which grads are in greater demand right now?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2009 #2
    Well, what precisely are you doing?

4. Aug 9, 2009 #3
    Both are equally employable. For best effect, do a biochemistry major

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4
    From my limited experience of a physics major with a chem minor, there are probably more "jobs" to less graduates than in chem. (it may be because i am in new england and it may be a geographical anomaly but there are a lot of bio majors.) Also the jobs you might end up with with a chem major pay well but don't sound very exciting to me. That is mostly the chem company sales rep. side of things I have already been approached by the chem salesmen that sell to company my parents work for.

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5
    I'd be inclined to say chem. There are WAY too many bio degrees out there.

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6
    I concur with this statement. Unless you have a PhD, people that have bio degrees are often thought to be people who couldn't make it to med school.

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7
    Even if you do have PhD's I've heard of fresh PhD grads in bio starting at $30,000 in industry

9. Aug 10, 2009 #8
    Pretty sure the market is constantly saturated with bio majors. Its one of the "I don't know what to do" majors, along with econ and psych.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook