Biopolymer in tissue engineering

• Thread starter BME.rony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of biopolymers and their use in tissue repairing. The individual is looking for information on polylactic acid and how to prepare it for implantation and make it reactive for proliferation. They have searched for articles on the topic but have not found what they are looking for. A literature search is suggested, as well as a search on Pubmed. The conversation also discusses the use of bioglass filled polymer for tissue integration and antimicrobial purposes. It is suggested to move the topic to the chemistry forum for better responses.
BME.rony
hi every one
I am looking for any information about biopolymer used in tissue repairing
Like polylactic acid and how to prepare it for implantation?
How to make it reactive to become able to proliferation?

Can anyone help me please
I am really really desperate

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you attempted a literature search yet? There should be tons of articles on this topic considering these are subjects that have been studied AT LEAST since I was a grad student (one of my friends was working on biopolymers as scaffolds for ligament repair).

If you haven't done so yet, do a search at Pubmed for your topic.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?dr=abstract

Is this for a paper for a class?

thanks for your help
You are right
I found a lot of articles on this topic but not what I am looking for
I am looking for the polymer itself
The professor talked about the steps for making the polymer suitable for tissue repairing
Like add a protein to produce DNA and adhesive material
I can't find any thing talk about that

I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking for (this is well outside my own area of expertise). Are you trying to understand the chemistry of how to prepare the polymers, or are you trying to find something on how the polymers work with biological tissues...or both? I realize this is a field that bridges both biology and chemistry as well as engineering fields (my friend who did this research was a biomedical engineer, but did much of her research within a chemistry department). So, I'm asking partly to help clarify the problem so we might get others to help more, and partly to determine if you might get more helpful responses in the chemistry forum rather than biology forum (if so, I can move this thread to chemistry). If moved, I'll leave a permanent redirect so it continues to get the attention of biologists as well.

Moonbear said:
I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking for (this is well outside my own area of expertise). Are you trying to understand the chemistry of how to prepare the polymers, or are you trying to find something on how the polymers work with biological tissues...or both? I realize this is a field that bridges both biology and chemistry as well as engineering fields (my friend who did this research was a biomedical engineer, but did much of her research within a chemistry department). So, I'm asking partly to help clarify the problem so we might get others to help more, and partly to determine if you might get more helpful responses in the chemistry forum rather than biology forum (if so, I can move this thread to chemistry). If moved, I'll leave a permanent redirect so it continues to get the attention of biologists as well.

I am looking for how to prepare the polymer and kind of polymer used
I think you are right it is beter to move it to to chemistry

thanks for your help

chemisttree said:
Here is one example of using bioglass filled polymer (PLA/PGA) to both encourage the integration of the device and provide an antimicrobial prophylaxis.

thanks but I could not find what i am looking for

1. What is a biopolymer?

A biopolymer is a naturally occurring polymer, meaning it is made up of repeating units of smaller molecules. These polymers are found in living organisms and play important roles in biological processes. Examples of biopolymers include proteins, nucleic acids, and carbohydrates.

2. How are biopolymers used in tissue engineering?

Biopolymers are used in tissue engineering to create scaffolds that mimic the natural extracellular matrix (ECM) found in tissues. These scaffolds provide a framework for cells to attach to and grow, allowing for the regeneration of damaged or diseased tissues.

3. What are the benefits of using biopolymers in tissue engineering?

One major benefit of using biopolymers in tissue engineering is their biocompatibility, meaning they are well-tolerated by the body and do not cause adverse reactions. They also have the ability to biodegrade, meaning they can be broken down by the body over time, leaving behind only natural byproducts. Biopolymers also have the potential to promote cell growth and tissue regeneration.

4. What are some examples of biopolymers used in tissue engineering?

Some commonly used biopolymers in tissue engineering include collagen, hyaluronic acid, chitosan, and alginate. These polymers can be derived from natural sources, such as animals or plants, or can be produced synthetically in a laboratory.

5. What are the challenges of using biopolymers in tissue engineering?

One major challenge is finding the right combination of biopolymers and processing techniques to create scaffolds that have the necessary mechanical and structural properties for specific tissue types. Biopolymers also have a limited lifespan and can degrade over time, which may require multiple treatments or replacements. Additionally, there is still much research to be done in understanding how biopolymers interact with cells and tissues in order to optimize their use in tissue engineering.