Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ book -- free to first person requesting it

• C/C++
  • Thread starter harborsparrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book C++
In summary, this book is free to a good or bad home. The person who wants it should message the author. If the person in the USA, the book will be shipped to them.
harborsparrow
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
C++ foundational book free to a good or bad home
I rescued this book from being tossed out. Would someone like it? Will ship to first requester if in USA.

Attachments

• 2020-11-28 13.15.38.jpg
    2020-11-28 13.15.38.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 108
Likes Vanadium 50 and sysprog
Technology news on Phys.org
I suggest yungman should get it.

Likes sysprog, Mark44 and harborsparrow
@yungman would you like to receive this book? if so, please message me a shipping address

Likes sysprog
harborsparrow said:
@yungman would you like to receive this book? if so, please message me a shipping address
Thanks for your offer, I have 6 books on C++ already, let someone else have it.

Thanks

Likes sysprog and berkeman
harborsparrow said:
Summary:: C++ foundational book free to a good or bad home
["Design & Evolution of C++]
Phew, that takes me back...

I bought (or obtained) every edition of "The C++ Programming Language", some of them by volunteering to proof-read the drafts. Although each edition was a huge amount of work just to read (and provide extensive comments), it turned out to be a fantastic way to stay at the front of the field. :oldwink:

Ah, the nostalgia! :cry:

Likes sysprog
yungman said:
I have 6 books on C++ already, let someone else have it.
But you don't have any that were written by the guy who defined the language...

Likes Vanadium 50, sysprog and Wrichik Basu
Mark44 said:
But you don't have any that were written by the guy who defined the language...
Ha ha, I have C++ books stacking up, not to mention Amazon first lost the Beginning C++17 by Ivor Horton, they sent me another one, then two weeks later, the first one arrived! I am using the second one to prop up my laptop to raise the height!

Particularly I am having a ball watching C++ youtube videos. I find it even more helpful than reading articles on line having a real person explaining along. I wasted two days reading this pointer and still didn't feel comfortable, I watched 3 videos, it's crystal clear now.

Likes sysprog
yungman said:
Ha ha, I have C++ books stacking up, not to mention Amazon first lost the Beginning C++17 by Ivor Horton, they sent me another one, then two weeks later, the first one arrived!
Give away one of the two copies, and get the book that comes from the horse's mouth. A book by the acknowledged master, with all the information in one place, is better than a slew of videos.

Likes Vanadium 50
I have a copy of "Design and Evolution of C++", from the days when I was learning everything I could about C++ so I could teach it. I enjoyed reading it, but it's definitely not a "how to program" book. It's more of a historical memoir, with lots of technical details and discussion about decisions that Stroustrup made when designing C++, and changes from one version to another.

Likes yungman
jtbell said:
I have a copy of "Design and Evolution of C++", from the days when I was learning everything I could about C++ so I could teach it. I enjoyed reading it, but it's definitely not a "how to program" book. It's more of a historical memoir, with lots of technical details and discussion about decisions that Stroustrup made when designing C++, and changes from one version to another.
In my experience, book from the person that invent the subject is more likely much harder for learning than other books. I remember self studying the most famous analog IC design book by Gray and Mayer. Gray was a professor in US Berkley, it's a very hard book to read. In the company, they put videos of his lectures during lunch time everyday those days, it was sooooooo boring, I sat there all the time...NOT to listen, but to snooze! His voice just made me fall asleep right away!

Of all the books I have in C++, the best book for self study is Gaddis bar none. The book does not assume you know anything about programming and it actually explain things in much simpler ways. Not that the other books are more advanced, after I studied Gaddis and read through the other books again, I got NOTHING more, they are just hard to read.

Problem with reading books from the one that invented the subject, they must be very bright. I spent more than 15 years working in an environment that my colleagues are at least 50% PhDs. We have a chief scientist that developed ALL the different mass spectrometers for semi-conductor testing like in KLA Tencor or Apply Matterials(they are really a scaled down version of the Standford linear accelerator type of stuff). I had a hell of a time listening to him. He skip words! He think he explain thing, but he really doesn't. When we had meetings, people really need to concentrate, it's going so fast you wander off a little, you miss the whole thing!

I bought a few C++ books, it's very difficult to understand. Finally I asked my grandson what book he used in his C++ class in community college, he introduced me Gaddis, that's the book! The book is written for lesser student and it take the time to explain.

I avoid getting books from people that is on top of the field if I try to learn anything from ground scratch. Hell, even in my field of electronics, I have even more books on RF and electromagnetics than Standford U book store. I still find it's better to get books that are easier to read over books by the pioneers of the topics.( believe me, I have a lot of books and studied a lot of books from all the years. I never stop studying all these years.).

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary
I'll take it if it's still available. PM me.

1. What is the title of Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ book?

The title of Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ book is "The C++ Programming Language".

2. Is the book available for free?

Yes, the book is available for free to the first person who requests it.

3. Who is Bjarne Stroustrup?

Bjarne Stroustrup is a Danish computer scientist who is known for designing and implementing the programming language C++. He is also the author of "The C++ Programming Language" book.

4. What is C++?

C++ is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that was developed by Bjarne Stroustrup in 1983. It is an extension of the C programming language and is used for developing a variety of software applications, including operating systems, browsers, and video games.

5. What can I expect to learn from Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ book?

Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ book covers all aspects of the C++ programming language, from basic syntax and data types to more advanced topics such as object-oriented programming and generic programming. It also includes examples and exercises to help readers apply their knowledge. Overall, the book aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of C++ for both beginners and experienced programmers.