Black hole confusion Not uncommon, is it?

In summary, the conversation discusses various concepts related to black holes, such as the event horizon, entropy, and gravitational strength. The correlation between entropy and the surface area of the event horizon is mentioned, as well as the idea that the singularity inside a black hole is still not fully understood due to conflicting theories. The relationship between mass and gravitational strength is also discussed, along with the question of how light can escape a black hole if more mass is added. The conversation ends with a question about the connection between entropy and the surface area of a black hole's singularity.
"Requiescat in pace"
I’ll speak in terms of gravity instead of space-time in efforts to keeps this as simple as possible…

Question: The entropy of a black hole is in direct correlation with the surface area of the event horizon?

Question: The event horizon is the limit that light has reached before being curved back to the singularity?

Question: Gravitational strength is directly proportional to the mass of an object?

Question: How then can light escape further from a singularity if mass is added to the system?

Question: Wouldn’t the increase in entropy decrease the surface area of a singularity due to the more intensive gravitational force being applied to light?

I know this is not a very well understood subject but if someone could throw a theory my way I'm all ears...

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Question: The entropy of a black hole is in direct correlation with the surface area of the event horizon?
I believe so.

Question: The event horizon is the limit that light has reached before being curved back to the singularity?
Event horizon is point of no return for anything going in. What goes on inside is conjecture. General relativity and quantum theory are in conflict. Singularity is a guess - predicted by gen. rel., but very questionable by quantum theory.

Question: Gravitational strength is directly proportional to the mass of an object?
Yes

Question: How then can light escape further from a singularity if mass is added to the system?
Light cannot escape from a black hole. Radiation seen from the outside comes from matter heating up as it falls in.

Question: Wouldn’t the increase in entropy decrease the surface area of a singularity due to the more intensive gravitational force being applied to light
I'm not sure of the connection. Surface area of a black hole depends on its mass - specifically, black hole radius is directly proportional to mass.

If you think about it the event horizon has to be the furthest light makes it away from the singularity, if it wasn't then it would still be part of our observable universe.

The questions were somewhat rhetorical, I know the answers to the first ones but it is that last one that I am theorizing about. They were just my thought process in a form of a question.

1. What causes black hole confusion?

The concept of a black hole can be confusing because it is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape. This is counterintuitive to our everyday understanding of gravity.

2. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself due to its own gravity. This creates a singularity, which is a point of infinite density, at the center of the black hole.

3. Can black holes be seen?

No, black holes cannot be seen directly because they do not emit any light. However, scientists can detect their presence by observing their effects on surrounding matter and light.

4. What happens if you enter a black hole?

If you were to enter a black hole, you would experience a phenomenon called spaghettification, where the gravity of the black hole would stretch and pull you apart. Ultimately, you would reach the singularity at the center and be crushed by its immense gravity.

5. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are three types of black holes: stellar black holes, intermediate black holes, and supermassive black holes. Each type differs in size and mass, with supermassive black holes being the largest and most massive, found at the center of most galaxies.