Exploring the Gravitational Pull of Black Holes: A Perspective on Safe Distances

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of standing on a planet at a safe distance from a black hole and the comparison of its gravitational pull to that of other massive objects. The speaker also shares their calculation of the distance from the sun to a black hole, acknowledging that it is not a fool-proof method. Ultimately, it is concluded that the gravitational pull of a black hole is not significantly different from that of other massive objects unless one is close enough to feel its tidal effects.
Hey
I was wondering recently what a black hole's tug/pull/ sucking effect would feel like if you could stand on a planet at a totally 'safe' distance, for example, or fly by perpendicularly.

I came up with 2.5 trillion miles or .43 light years, give or take.

I compared the diameter of the sun with the distance from the sun to the earth, and then expanded that proportion to the diameter of a black hole.

I know this is not a fool-proof method, but it was the way to satisfy my initial curiosity and give myself a ballpark notion of the distance.

Wondering what you all think, pardon my naivete,

Nick

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not any different from the gravitational pull of any other massive object. In other words, you will not feel it unless you are close enough to feel the tidal effects.

Likes Hey
Orodruin said:
Not any different from the gravitational pull of any other massive object. In other words, you will not feel it unless you are close enough to feel the tidal effects.
I see, thank you.

1. What is a black hole and how does it feel?

A black hole is an extremely dense region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. The feeling of being near a black hole would be similar to being in a strong gravitational field, where time and space are distorted. However, since no one has ever been close to a black hole, we can only imagine what it might feel like.

2. How far away is the nearest black hole?

The nearest known black hole to Earth is about 1,000 light years away. However, there may be smaller black holes closer to us that have not yet been discovered.

3. Can we see black holes from Earth?

No, black holes cannot be seen directly because they do not emit any light. However, we can observe the effects of a black hole's gravity on surrounding matter, such as gas and stars, which can give us clues about its presence.

4. How big can a black hole be?

Black holes can come in a range of sizes, from small ones that are only a few miles across to supermassive black holes that are billions of times the mass of our sun. The size of a black hole depends on the amount of matter that it has consumed.

5. Are black holes dangerous?

Black holes are not dangerous in the sense that they can suck things in from far away. In fact, you would have to be extremely close to a black hole for its gravity to have any noticeable effect on you. However, if you were to venture too close to a black hole, the intense gravitational forces could tear you apart.