Black holes (didnt know where to put this question)

In summary, two black holes in an elliptical orbit around each other at speeds approaching the speed of light would cause a significant distortion of the space/time fabric and create gravitational waves. These waves are very weak and difficult to detect, but if the source was closer, the effects would be more noticeable. Scientists are still working on detecting and understanding these waves, but it is believed that they have different polarizations and could potentially have an impact on our position in space/time.
lepporddog
this is buggin me. could some one please explain in lay terms what they believe happens when 2 black holes are close enough to be in an elyptical orbit around each other at speeds that would be approaching the speed of light pryor to the smaller one being absorbed into the larger they would have to be distorting space/time fabric around them terribly and causing a hell of a ripple effect. what do u suppose would happen were it to be close enough to the Earth that we were to b hit by one these ripples in the fabric of space/time?
does anyone care to speculate on the effect it might have on our position in space/time? i just watched a show that descussed black holes orbitting and i thought about it and its got me trippin! thanx

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
In theory, we're constantly being bombarded by these "ripples" as you call them, or in more technical parlance, gravitational waves. Unfortunately, they're so miserably weak that even out most sensitive experiments have failed to detect them (see LIGO, for example). Of course, these sources are expected to be many many light years distant, so one could legitimately ask what would happen if the source were much closer.

The answer to that question, then, is given here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave
Where you read about the effects of the gravitational wave, specifically the effects of the two different polarizations.

Cheers!

Good answer, Nabeshin. I still hold hope that LIGO will earn its keep. I have faith tuning exercises will eventually yield results. This tuning process was anticipated from the beginning. There was not so much doubt of success as uncertainty about how long it would take.

Last edited:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape its grasp. It is created when a massive star dies and its core collapses in on itself.

2. How big can a black hole get?

The size of a black hole is determined by its mass. The more massive the black hole, the larger its event horizon (the point of no return) will be. The largest known black hole has a mass equivalent to 21 billion suns.

3. Can anything survive inside a black hole?

According to our current understanding of physics, it is not possible for anything to survive inside a black hole. The intense gravitational forces would crush any matter into a single point of infinite density.

4. How do we detect black holes?

Black holes cannot be observed directly, but their presence can be inferred through their effects on surrounding matter. For example, we can detect the X-rays emitted by matter that is being pulled into a black hole.

5. Can black holes evaporate?

It is theorized that black holes can slowly lose mass through Hawking radiation, which is a process where particles are emitted from the event horizon. However, this process is extremely slow and would take trillions of years for a black hole to evaporate completely.