Why does the sun have a black point and is it an optical effect?

• Thread starter chuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point Sun
In summary, the white spot on the sun in these photos is an internal reflection off of one of the camera's lenses.
chuy
Why? It's a optic effect? It's taken with digital camera.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/15/solplayahm9.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/7657/phot0047zc4.jpg

:bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well it is certanly not an accurate picture of the sun. :smile:

Perhaps some faulty red eye detection mechanism.

Just a guess, but maybe the sensors on that part of the CCD are "off" (to protect the chip from possible damage from the high intensity sunlight)?

-GeoMike-

Last edited:
Someone else recently posted similar pictures... Probably due to the high intensity of the sun.

Have you observed that in each photography also is a white point?

Last edited:
If you read the instructions on your digital camera carefully, it will clearly indicate that you should never point the camera directly at the sun. You may have destroyed several of your CCD sensors.

Zz.

But when I don't take pictures to sun, don't appear black points.

This is typical. The CCD detectors are simply overloaded.

chuy said:

That's interesting

moose said:
That's interesting
Not really. It's just an reflection off some internal lens element.

The reason the black spots appears is because some kind of anti-blooming circuitry is kicking in for the severely over-exposed pixels. I'm no CCD expert, but I suspect there's a diode connected to each pixel well, and, when the charge in a well gets too large, it's completely dumped to ground, leaving the pixel black.

- Warren

looks like a black circle made by the windows painter.

btw, there are two circles in each pic

Theres a little black spot on sun today...The Police
{thats my soul up there}

chuy said:
But when I don't take pictures to sun, don't appear black points.
Well, then consider yourself lucky and don't do it again...

chuy said:
That is interesting. Thouigh I think chroot has hit the nail on the head.

The white spot, as I said, is just an internal reflection off one of the camera's lenses. Note how it's always directly opposite the optical axis (center of the picture) from the Sun itself.

- Warren

Which is what I mean by 'hitting the nail'... i.e. a classic lens reflection.

Oh, heh, I misunderstood your response. Leave it to me to hit the nail on the head, and then promptly lose the hammer.

- Warren

chroot said:
... and then promptly lose the hammer.
Heeeeaaaads uuuuuuup! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*Thunk*

chroot said:
Oh, heh, I misunderstood your response. Leave it to me to hit the nail on the head, and then promptly lose the hammer.

- Warren
:rofl: I need to remember that line; I think it'll come in useful. :biggrin:

I'm almost positive you'll find several situations daily to use it.

and to hypatia. good one. at least someone is paying attention.

The next time try using a mechanical camera :D

this photo has made me think but made me think in a different angle. it is strange because the subject matter itself is strange but wonderful. All I can say at the moment is give me more time to come with a reason.

chroot said:
I suspect there's a diode connected to each pixel well, and, when the charge in a well gets too large, it's completely dumped to ground, leaving the pixel black.

- Warren
So you're saying it is safe for the camera to be pointed directly at the sun?

Well, you know how to make fire with a magnifying lens and the sun, don't you?

Isn't it the same as looking at the sun? We 'burn' out part of our eye? Same applied to the camera?

Similar, yes. I'd call it a bug in the camera's software, though. (I have an image editing program that does the same thing).

It shouldn't permanently damage a properly-designed camera, at least over the duration of a snapshot.

- Warren

1. Why does the sun have a black point?

The black point on the sun is known as a sunspot. Sunspots are areas on the sun's surface that appear darker due to their lower temperature compared to the surrounding areas. They are caused by intense magnetic activity and can vary in size and shape.

2. Is the black point on the sun permanent?

No, sunspots are not permanent features on the sun. They can form, evolve, and disappear over a period of days or weeks. The frequency and intensity of sunspots also vary in an 11-year cycle, known as the solar cycle.

3. Is the black point on the sun dangerous?

No, sunspots are not dangerous. They do not pose any threat to Earth or human health. However, they can have an impact on our technology and communication systems, as they are often associated with solar flares and coronal mass ejections.

4. Can we see the black point on the sun with our naked eyes?

Yes, it is possible to see sunspots with our naked eyes, but it is not recommended. Looking directly at the sun can be extremely harmful and can cause permanent eye damage. It is important to use proper solar filters or observation techniques to safely view the sun.

5. Is the black point on the sun an optical effect?

Yes, the black point on the sun is an optical effect. The contrast between the sunspot and the surrounding areas makes it appear darker, but in reality, it is just a slightly cooler region on the sun's surface. This is similar to how a dark spot on a light-colored object can appear darker to our eyes.