Why optical pyrometer gives a low reading?

In summary: Yes. And because the object is no longer in the furnace, the optical pyrometer senses that it is at a lower temperature than it actually is.
vcsharp2003
Homework Statement
For the question as in screenshot, explain why the optical pyrometer gives a too low reading.
Relevant Equations
##\frac {\Delta Q} {\Delta t} = \epsilon \sigma A T^4## where ##\epsilon## is emissivity of the body at temperature ##T## having a surface area of A and ##\sigma## is a constant for all bodies called Stefan Boltzmann constant..
CamScanner 01-16-2023 16.19.jpg

From my knowledge, the optical pyrometer determines temperature of a body based on the visible part of the heat radiation spectrum emitted by a body. Now the iron piece was red hot inside the furnace as well as outside the furnace, so it is emitting heat radiation in the visible part both while in and out of the furnace. My only guess is that when red hot iron piece is outside, the heat radiation in the visible part of light becomes very small as compared to when it was inside the furnace, and so the optical pyrometer senses a too low temperature of the iron piece outside the furnace.

If above explanation is correct then I still don't understand why the visible part of the heat radiation spectrum becomes very less when iron body is placed outside the furnace, even though it's still red hot outside.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is it important that the pyrometer be calibrated for an ideal black body? Can you explain what a "black body" is?

No, the emitted glow from the iron is not dramatically reduced due to removal from the furnace. The answer that I have in mind has nothing to do with rapid surface cooling or any other magical reduction in the glow as the iron is removed from the furnace.

Last edited:
Likes vcsharp2003
jbriggs444 said:
Why is it important that the pyrometer be calibrated for an ideal black body?
I don't know the reason for this, but it seems if it's calibrated for black body then using emissivity of a regular body one can determine the amount of heat radiation and therefore it's temperature.
jbriggs444 said:
Can you explain what a "black body" is?
A black body absorbs all incident radiation and also emits the same amount of absorbed radiation. A normal body will not absorb all incident radiation and therefore it will also emit less radiation compared to a black body at the same temperature.

vcsharp2003 said:
A black body absorbs all incident radiation and also emits the same amount of absorbed radiation. A normal body will not absorb all incident radiation and therefore it will also emit less radiation compared to a black body at the same temperature.
What happens to the incident radiation that is not absorbed?

Likes vcsharp2003
jbriggs444 said:
What happens to the incident radiation that is not absorbed?
It is reflected.

vcsharp2003 said:
It is reflected.
For instance, what happens to the incident radiation onto a piece of iron in a furnace?

Likes vcsharp2003
jbriggs444 said:
For instance, what happens to the incident radiation onto a piece of iron in a furnace?
My guess is that most of it is absorbed since inside the furnace the iron object is closer to acting like a black body.

vcsharp2003 said:
My guess is that most of it is absorbed since inside the furnace the iron object is closer to acting like a black body.
Most. But not all. So what about the portion that is not absorbed? What happens to that portion?

Likes vcsharp2003
jbriggs444 said:
Most. But not all. So what about the portion that is not absorbed? What happens to that portion?
That's a good question. That small part which is not absorbed is reflected back into the furnace space. Probably, the red part of incident light is reflected, which makes the iron appear red hot.

vcsharp2003 said:
That's a good question. That small part which is not absorbed is reflected back into the furnace space. Probably, the red part of incident light is reflected.
Good. Now take it the rest of the way. When the optical pyrometer looks at the iron in the furnace, what will it see?

Likes vcsharp2003
jbriggs444 said:
Good. Now take it the rest of the way. When the optical pyrometer looks at the iron in the furnace, what will it see?
Red part of the light. But I think the emitted radiation is also detected by the pyrometer, which means it sense both the red part plus the emitted visible part of radiation.

vcsharp2003 said:
Red part of the light.
That is not what I was aiming at.

Yes, it is looking (we assume) for the intensity of the red portion of the spectrum. And it will see red light coming from the surface of the iron sample. Some of that red light will be emitted. Some of that red light will be reflected. The total measured by the pyrometer will be the sum of the two, right?

Likes vcsharp2003
jbriggs444 said:
That is not what I was aiming at.

Yes, it is looking (we assume) for the intensity of the red portion of the spectrum. And it will see red light coming from the surface of the iron sample. Some of that red light will be emitted. Some of that red light will be reflected. The total measured by the pyrometer will be the sum of the two, right?
Yes. I added that to my last message.

If this is true inside the furnace then outside the furnace the same object will emit less red part. Right?

vcsharp2003 said:
Yes. I added that to my last message.
I am not sure that I understand that last part:
vcsharp2003 said:
But I think the emitted radiation is also detected by the pyrometer, which means it sense both the red part plus the emitted visible part of radiation.

jbriggs444 said:
I am not sure that I understand that last part:
I meant there is going to be some visible (i.e. VIBGYOR) wavelengths in the emitted radiation including red light, over and above the reflected red light.

vcsharp2003 said:
I meant there is going to be some visible (i.e. VIBGYOR) wavelengths in the emitted radiation including red light, over and above the reflected red light.
OK. I could not decide whether you were trying to distinguish between red light and visible light or between emitted light and reflected light.

In any case, we agree that what comes off of the hunk of iron in the furnace is a mix between reflected and emitted light.

What happens when the hunk of iron is removed from the furnace? What does the pyrometer see now? You did turn off the light switch, right?

Likes vcsharp2003
jbriggs444 said:
What happens when the hunk of iron is removed from the furnace? What does the pyrometer see now?
There should be less red light incident when it's outside, since the fuel in the furnace was emitting red radiation. This results in less total red light being detected by the pyrometer when it's outside.

Likes jbriggs444
@jbriggs444
Wouldn’t the oven measurement overestimate T, because the walls are probably hotter than the bar? Are we just looking to measure where we are minimizing ΔT between item and environment?
Do you know the magnitude of this effect at 1000C or some other convenient high temperature?
Would focusing optics minimize the effect? Is there a better way?
Is there something subtle about the detector being blackbody (not greybody) calibrated?

Frabjous said:
@jbriggs444
Wouldn’t the oven measurement overestimate T, because the walls are probably hotter than the bar?
Possible. I am an ivory tower academic. My assumption is that an oven will be set for the desired equilibrium temperature. But perhaps they are set higher than that.

Frabjous said:
Are we just looking to measure where we are minimizing ΔT between item and environment?
Ideally, I would think the goal is to measure the temperature of something that is not at equilibrium with its environment. So one needs to beware of the confounding fact of the target's illumination and reflectivity in the relevant frequency band(s). Not all objects are ideally black.
Frabjous said:
Do you know the magnitude of this effect at 1000C or some other convenient high temperature?
Nope. Just an ivory tower academic here.
Frabjous said:
Would focusing optics minimize the effect? Is there a better way?
I do not see how focusing could help.
Frabjous said:
Is there something subtle about the detector being blackbody (not greybody) calibrated?
Not subtle, no. But if your body is strongly reflective in a particular band at a certain temperature, it follows by the second law of thermodynamics that it must be poorly emissive in the same band. If the detector is sampling in such a band (strongly reflective, poorly emissive) and is calibrated for an ideal black body then it will indicate the wrong temperature -- even after you turn out the lights.

The meter will expect a strongly emissive black body. It will see a weakly emissive colored body and misjudge the temperature as a result.

Take this explanation with a certain amount of caution. I am not a subject matter expert. I do not know how optical pyrometers are tuned to mitigate this problem.

Likes DrClaude and Frabjous
Red-hot iron is not actually an ideal blackbody. For this non-ideal blackbody, the monochromatic emissivity ##\varepsilon_\lambda## is defined as the ratio of the monochromatic emissive power of the real surface to the monochromatic emissive power of a black body. It is less than one. If the temperature of the object in the furnace is observed from the small hole in the furnace door, then the model is very close to the black body, so the measured temperature is accurate

Likes nasu and vcsharp2003

1. Why does an optical pyrometer give a low reading?

There are several possible reasons why an optical pyrometer may give a low reading:

• The pyrometer may be out of calibration, resulting in inaccurate temperature readings.
  • The target being measured may have a low emissivity, meaning it does not emit as much thermal radiation as expected.
  • The pyrometer's lens may be dirty or damaged, affecting the accuracy of the readings.
  • The ambient temperature or other environmental factors may be affecting the measurement.
  • The pyrometer may be incorrectly positioned, resulting in a low reading due to measuring a cooler area of the target.

2. How can I troubleshoot a low reading from my optical pyrometer?

If your optical pyrometer is giving consistently low readings, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:

• Check the calibration of your pyrometer and recalibrate if necessary.
  • Clean the lens of the pyrometer and ensure it is not damaged.
  • Verify the emissivity of the target being measured and adjust the pyrometer's settings accordingly.
  • Check the ambient temperature and other environmental factors that may be affecting the measurement.
  • Double-check the positioning of the pyrometer to ensure it is measuring the desired area of the target.

3. Can the temperature range of an optical pyrometer affect its readings?

Yes, the temperature range of an optical pyrometer can affect its readings. Each pyrometer is designed to measure a specific range of temperatures, and if the target being measured falls outside of that range, the readings may be inaccurate. It is important to choose the appropriate pyrometer for the temperature range you will be measuring.

4. What are some common sources of error for optical pyrometers?

Some common sources of error for optical pyrometers include:

• Incorrect calibration or out-of-date calibration.
  • Dirty or damaged lens.
  • Low emissivity of the target being measured.
  • Environmental factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, or interference from other sources of light.
  • Improper positioning of the pyrometer.

5. How can I ensure accurate readings from an optical pyrometer?

To ensure accurate readings from an optical pyrometer, it is important to:

• Regularly calibrate the pyrometer according to the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Clean and inspect the lens for any damage.
  • Verify the emissivity of the target being measured and adjust the pyrometer's settings accordingly.
  • Minimize any environmental factors that may affect the measurement.
  • Properly position the pyrometer to measure the desired area of the target.