Thermal Radiation & 'Black Radiation': Explained

In summary, radiation in equilibrium with matter is emitted by any object that is cooler than the surrounding space.
samreen
what is 'black radiation' ? or specifically, the meaning of the phrase "radiation in equilibrium with matter"...in the context of thermal radiation. clueless here :'(

Science news on Phys.org
I think you mean blackbody radiation.
A blackbody emits radiation with a certain characteristic that depends only on it's temperature - the sun is a good example.

An example of radiation equilibrium would be a planet around a star. The planet is cooler than the star and so absorbs radiation from it, as it heats up it then emits radiation to the colder space. It eventually reaches an equilibrium temperature where the amount of radiation emitted equals the amount recieved.

mgb has it I think...Leonard Susskind uses the chapter title BLACK LIGHT (meaning radiation) in his book THE BLACK HOLE WAR...
I just happened to reread it yesterday and never really thought about the chapter title...he uses the term I think to cover black hole evaporation via Hawking radiation ( black body radiation) and discusses the black body nature of black holes...but Susskind sticks to blackbody radiation when discussing actual emissions.

There are some interesting illustrations here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

nope. i mean black radiation. I am talking general here. we know from kirchhoffs work that any enclosure that is opaque to all kinds of radiation, will when maintained at any constant temperature, behave like an ideal black body, and emit radiation characteristic of that temperature, right? I've followed it so far.
what i don't follow is when the texts say that any speck of matter placed inside such an enclosure will attain equilibrium with the radiation filling the enclosure and the blacker it is, the faster this will happen. when it has, this speck starts emitting black radiation

Last edited:
samreen said:
nope. i mean black radiation. I am talking general here. we know from kirchhoffs work that any enclosure that is opaque to all kinds of radiation, will when maintained at any constant temperature, behave like an ideal black body, and emit radiation characteristic of that temperature, right?
Correct, the inside of an oven is a pretty good black body
What confuses a lot of people is that glowing hot things, like stars or ligh bulb filamanets are also 'black' bodies.

what i don't follow is when the texts say that any speck of matter placed inside such an enclosure will attain equilibrium with the radiation filling the enclosure and the blacker it is, the faster this will happen. when it has, this speck starts emitting black radiation
image a piece of black material (eg soot covered metal) placed inside an oven, infrared radiation from the oven will hit the material, be absorbed and heat it up.
It is also emitting it's own photons, but as it's cooler there are fewer of these and they are a less energetic wavelength.
This will happen until the material reaches the same temperature as the oven - then it will emit radiation at exactly the same wavelength as those from the oven (the wavelength depends only on temperature) it will also emit exactly the same power/m^2 as the walls the oven - this is the equlibrium.

A highly reflective object put in the oven will reflect most of the heat radiation and so absorb very little and heat up much more slowly, this is why you put highly reflective insulation around things that need to work at very high or very low temperatures

it all seems so nice and obvious the way u put it. that was a ton of help :) thanx!

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the process by which heat is transferred from one object to another through electromagnetic waves. It is also known as heat radiation or infrared radiation.

2. How is thermal radiation different from other forms of heat transfer?

Thermal radiation does not require a medium, such as air or water, to transfer heat. It can occur in a vacuum and is not affected by the temperature difference between the objects involved.

3. What is black radiation?

Black radiation refers to the idealized form of thermal radiation that is emitted by an object that absorbs all incoming radiation and does not reflect or transmit any of it. This is also known as a blackbody radiator.

4. How is black radiation related to thermal radiation?

All objects emit thermal radiation, but the amount and wavelength of the radiation depend on the object's temperature and surface properties. Black radiation is used as a theoretical standard for understanding and measuring thermal radiation.

5. What are some practical applications of thermal and black radiation?

Thermal radiation plays a crucial role in everyday life, from heating our homes and cooking food to powering solar panels. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as drying and sterilization. Black radiation is used in fields like astronomy to study the thermal properties of celestial objects and in engineering to design efficient thermal systems.