Blackbody Definition: Absorbs All Light & Emits Thermal Radiation

In summary, a blackbody is an object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits thermal radiation based on its temperature. It is an idealized concept used to explain the behavior of objects in thermal equilibrium. The amount and wavelength of thermal radiation emitted by a blackbody are determined solely by its temperature, and it does not reflect or transmit any light. This concept is important in understanding the principles of thermodynamics and plays a key role in fields such as astronomy and engineering.
Silviu
Hello! I am not sure I understand the concept of blackbody. The definition is that it absorbs all the incoming light and doesn't reflect any. However, it emits thermal radiation. Isn't thermal radiation still EM radiation, so technically still light, just at another frequency? So if it emits some kind of EM radiation, why is it black?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi silviu:

It is only a matter of vocabulary usage. A body's blackness just means it does not reflect photons, although it can absorb them. If a black body has a temperature, it will radiate photons according to Planck's Law.

Pretty much almost everything we see reflects photons, and the reflected photons is what we see as the thing we see.

Regards,
Buzz

Silviu said:
So if it emits some kind of EM radiation, why is it black?
A black body which is sufficiently warm will emit visible light

Dale said:
A black body which is sufficiently warm will emit visible light
So it is not really black, right?

Silviu said:

Yes, it is. The color of an object is not determined by the light it emits when you heat it up, but by the light that reflects off of it. A blackbody will reflect no light and truly be black.

Drakkith said:
Yes, it is. The color of an object is not determined by the light it emits when you heat it up, but by the light that reflects off of it. A blackbody will reflect no light and truly be black.
Wait, I am confused. If you heat it up to a temperature such that the peak frequency corresponds to, let's say, blue, won't it appear as blue and not black? So won't its color be blue?

Silviu said:
Wait, I am confused. If you heat it up to a temperature such that the peak frequency corresponds to, let's say, blue, won't it appear as blue and not black? So won't its color be blue?

Sorry, I think there's been a miscommunication here. If you looked at a blackbody at 5,000 kelvin, it would not look black. It would look white and be as bright as the surface of the Sun. But it would absorb all incoming radiation, and when not heated up it would appear black. Does that clarify things a bit?

Drakkith said:
Sorry, I think there's been a miscommunication here. If you looked at a blackbody at 5,000 kelvin, it would not look black. It would look white and be as bright as the surface of the Sun. But it would absorb all incoming radiation, and when not heated up it would appear black. Does that clarify things a bit?
Well I am a bit confused by "when not heated up". Does this mean that a perfect blackbody exists only at 0k (as this means not heated up)? Otherwise it would still emit some radiation (even if not in the visible spectrum) so it would still not be black.

Silviu said:
Well I am a bit confused by "when not heated up". Does this mean that a perfect blackbody exists only at 0k (as this means not heated up)? Otherwise it would still emit some radiation (even if not in the visible spectrum) so it would still not be black.

No, the term "blackbody" doesn't mean that the object always looks black. It means that it always absorbs all EM radiation falling on it and when heated above 0k it is a perfect emitter of thermal radiation. That is, it has an emissivity of exactly 1. Don't get caught up in the "black" part of the name.

From wikipedia's article on a black body: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_body

A body's behavior with regard to thermal radiation is characterized by its transmission τ, absorption α, and reflection ρ.
For a black body, τ=0, α=1, and ρ=0.

So on top of being a perfect emitter of thermal radiation, it transmits no light (or other EM radiation) through it, is a perfect absorber of incident EM radiation, and reflects 0% of any incident EM radiation.

Silviu said:
A black body can emit radiation. That is not part of the definition. The defining characteristic is that it absorbs all radiation.

Many sources of visible light (sun, candles, etc) are approximately black bodies.

Silviu said:
Frequency sensitive reflectivity ('colour') and emissivity are two separate issues.
If it doesn't reflect any EM then it's defined as a black surface.
A hot body (black or white or green) will radiate EM. If it radiates EM with a spectrum according to Planck's Law (see above) it is defined as a black body.
There is no point in worrying about any apparent contradiction here. Context is what counts.
I think there is a practical aspect to this. The reflectivity of a surface at a given frequency will depend on the energy states of its atoms. Get it hot enough to be glowing, you are disturbing the distribution of states; it is no longer the same 'colour'. Take a visibly coloured object at a temperature below 'red heat' (say less than 1kK) its colour under a white illuminant won't be affected.

Silviu said:

See if answer #3 in this thread helps: https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/148627

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming electromagnetic radiation and emits thermal radiation at all wavelengths.

2. What does it mean for a blackbody to absorb all light?

This means that a blackbody is able to absorb all wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, from visible light to radio waves, without reflecting or transmitting any of it.

3. How does a blackbody emit thermal radiation?

A blackbody emits thermal radiation due to its temperature. As an object's temperature increases, it emits more thermal radiation at shorter wavelengths, according to Planck's law.

4. Why is a blackbody considered an idealized object?

A blackbody is considered idealized because it is a theoretical concept that does not exist in nature. However, many real objects, such as stars and planets, approximate the behavior of a blackbody.

5. What are some examples of blackbodies?

Some examples of blackbodies include stars, planets, and black holes. These objects absorb and emit radiation in a manner similar to a blackbody, although they may not perfectly match the idealized definition.