1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackbody radiation - stat mech

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1
    we have a hollow cubical box with sides of length a with perfectly conducting walls, such that the electric field tangential to the surfaces of the walls must be zero. we need to show that the system of standing waves:
    Ex = Ax*cos(Kx*x)*sin(Ky*y)*sin(Kz*z)*exp(iwt)
    Ey = Ax*sin(Kx*x)*cos(Ky*y)*sin(Kz*z)*exp(iwt)
    Ez = Ax*sin(Kx*x)*sin(Ky*y)*cos(Kz*z)*exp(iwt)

satisfies the wave equation in 3-d. I can do this. We also need to show that they satisfy the condition that div(E)=0 (I think this is because there is no charge density in the box) provided that there are two independent polarisations for light.
    just doing algebra I can get the expression (Kx*Ax + Ky*Ay + Kz*Az) = 0 , but I'm not sure how this connects to light having two independent polarisations (or in fact what it means for light to have two independent polarisiations). any hlpful hints would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a given [tex] (K_x,K_y,K_z) [/tex], you can think of the solution to the equation you derived as a plane in the 3d space [tex] (A_x , A_y , A_z ) [/tex]. How many independent directions are there on such a plane?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?