Block on an Incline with Varying Elevation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block at rest on an inclined plane and the determination of the angle at which the block begins to slide. The conversation also includes a hint for calculating the acceleration of the block. The solution involves using the coefficients of static and kinetic friction, as well as the equations for force and acceleration. Ultimately, the correct angle is found to be 0.372°, and the mistake of using radians instead of degrees is identified.
Becca93
Homework Statement
Part one: A block is at rest on an inclined plane whose elevation can be varied. The coefficient of static friction is μs= 0.390, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is μk= 0.190. The angle of elevation θ is increased slowly from the horizontal. At what value of θ does the block begin to slide (in degrees)?

(Hint after getting it incorrect: mass*acceleration = sum of net forces in one direction. Use mu_s to calculate the frictional force for the moment when it starts to slide)

Part two: Evaluate the acceleration of the block.

The attempt at a solution

So,

Ff = μFn
Fn= mgcosθ
Fparallel = mgsinθ
Ff = μ(mgcosθ)

When the block begins to slide, the force of friction has to be equal to the force parallel, right? You have to overcome the static μ.

So,
Fparallel = Ff
mgsinθ = μmgcosθ

mg's would cancel, so

sinθ = μcosθ
sinθ/cosθ = μ
tanθ = μ

θ= tan^-1(0.390)

However, the answer I get is 0.372°, and that isn't correct.

For the second half,
ƩFnet = ma
Fparallel - Ff = ma
mgsinθ - mgcosθ = ma
gsinθ - gcosθ = a

There's a flaw in my method, I just don't know what it is. Anyone know how to help?

Likes PaperAirplane
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer was right. It's just that you are in radians, rather than degrees.

Thank you. I feel like a bit of an idiot, but I guess that's what I get for working with a new calculator.

Thank you!

1. How does the angle of the incline affect the movement of the block?

The angle of the incline affects the movement of the block because it determines the component of the force of gravity acting on the block. The steeper the incline, the greater the component of gravity pulling the block downwards, causing it to accelerate faster.

2. What factors contribute to the variation in elevation on the incline?

The variation in elevation on the incline can be caused by several factors, such as the terrain of the incline, any obstacles or bumps in the path, and the height of the incline itself. These factors can create changes in the slope and height of the incline, which can affect the movement of the block.

3. How does the weight of the block impact its acceleration on the incline?

The weight of the block plays a significant role in its acceleration on the incline. The greater the weight of the block, the more force of gravity there is acting on it, causing it to accelerate faster. However, if the incline is steep enough, the weight of the block may not have as much of an impact on its acceleration as the angle of the incline itself.

4. Can friction affect the movement of the block on the incline?

Yes, friction can affect the movement of the block on the incline. Friction is a force that resists motion, and it can act on the block as it moves down the incline, slowing its acceleration. The amount of friction depends on factors such as the surface of the incline and the material of the block.

5. How can the block's acceleration be calculated on an incline with varying elevation?

The block's acceleration on an incline with varying elevation can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By taking into account the forces acting on the block, such as gravity and friction, and using the appropriate equations, the acceleration of the block can be determined.