Can Blockchain Be Queried as a Database?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Database
In summary: The current block is added to the chain by the first miner to find a solution to a cryptographic puzzle. Blocks are added to the chain in a chronological order. Blocks are added to the chain in a deterministic order.In summary, a blockchain is a database that records transactions. You can query it, but you cannot modify blocks. Blocks are added to the chain in a deterministic order.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Just curious: If blockchain is a database.
Can it be queried? I don't know how key-value systems are queried.
How are blocks added?
I guess if it is a DB, it is not modifiable

Technology news on Phys.org
Caveat: I don't know anything about blockchains, Bitcoin, or other crypto-currencies. I'll respond to the question you asked, which might not be what you're really asking.
WWGD said:
I don't know how key-value systems are queried.
A dictionary (in Python parlance) or map (in C++ parlance) is a data structure consisting of key-value pairs. You can access (for read or write) a value by using its key, similar to the way you access an element of an array by using its index in the array. One difference is that for an array, the indexes have to be integral values; for a dictionary/map, the keys can be strings or numbers, or other types.

Likes WWGD
Another term is associative array.

WWGD said:
Hi All,

I am not a blockchain user but I know some things about it.
Blockchain technology creates a distributed database and the difference between it and a traditional database is that it is not centralized as the latter i.e. it is not based on the classical client - server model, where the client can among other things - where "things" means the CRUD operations, change entries that are stored in some server on the net i.e on some centralized resource. In blockchain technology each participant maintains, calculates and updates new entries into the database in the form of records. Blockchain is a combination and orchestration of three technologies: Internet (specifically P2P network form), cryptography (private key) and a protocol.
As it is decentralized it is appropriate for some specific functions but not for all. Centralized databases are appropriate for other.

One notable thing about blockchains is that they can provide real time information but they can also hold their own history and expand. They are not as fast as a centralized traditional database and this is mostly due to the fact that are based on distributed networks that do not share processing power so each one must process and then compare to the rest of the whole network in order some "consensus" of what has happened to be reached. Also, hiding information using some form of cryptography poses a serious computational burden for the machines on the network.

Likes FactChecker and WWGD
WWGD said:
Hi All,
Can it be queried? I don't know how key-value systems are queried.
How are blocks added?
I guess if it is a DB, it is not modifiable

There are a variety of blockchain technologies out there. Very generally:

A blockchain is a database that records transactions. You can query a blockchain but you cannot modify blocks other than the current block. Validated transactions are written to the current block and when the current block reaches a set size, a new block becomes the current block.

Likes WWGD

1. What is a blockchain database?

A blockchain database is a type of database that uses blockchain technology to store and manage data. It is a decentralized, secure, and immutable database that is maintained by a network of computers rather than a single authority. It is primarily used for storing transactional data in a secure and transparent manner.

2. How is blockchain different from traditional databases?

Blockchain databases are different from traditional databases in several ways. Firstly, traditional databases are centralized, meaning that the data is stored and managed by a single authority. In contrast, blockchain databases are decentralized, meaning that the data is stored and managed by a network of computers. Additionally, blockchain databases use cryptographic techniques to ensure the security and immutability of the data, while traditional databases rely on access controls to protect the data.

3. What are the benefits of using blockchain as a database?

There are several benefits of using blockchain as a database. Firstly, since the data is decentralized and distributed across a network of computers, it is more secure and less vulnerable to cyber attacks. Additionally, blockchain databases are immutable, meaning that once data is stored, it cannot be altered or deleted, making it more reliable. Lastly, blockchain databases offer a transparent and auditable record of all transactions, making it ideal for industries such as finance and supply chain management.

4. What are the limitations of using blockchain as a database?

While blockchain offers many benefits, it also has limitations. One major limitation is scalability. As more data is added to the blockchain, it becomes larger and more difficult to manage, resulting in slower transaction processing times. Additionally, since all data is stored on every node in the network, storage costs can be high. Furthermore, blockchain is still a relatively new technology, and there are ongoing debates about its legality and regulation in certain industries.

5. How is data stored and retrieved in a blockchain database?

Data is stored in blocks on the blockchain, with each block containing a set of transactions. These blocks are then linked together, forming a chain of blocks, hence the name "blockchain." The data is stored in a decentralized manner, meaning that multiple copies of the data are stored on different nodes in the network. To retrieve data, a user must have the correct cryptographic keys to access the data stored on the blockchain. This ensures the security and privacy of the data stored on the blockchain database.