Blog: The Fascinating Possibilities of 2D Objects in a 3D Universe

• Thread starter -=Red=-
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of 2D objects existing in a 3D world and the concept of a 4D world that we cannot see. It also touches on the nature of the fourth dimension, time, and how it is different from our spatial dimensions. The mention of string theory and its implications for dimensions is also brought up.
-=Red=-
How is it possible for a 2 dimensional object to exist in a 3 dimensional world? Even the atoms that make up everything in the universe are 3D. This being the case how can we say that our 3D universe is surrounded by a 4D world we cannot see? I guess what I am saying is if 2D objects can't exist in 3D than how can 3D objects, like our universe, exist in a 4D?

---RedSingularity

Physics news on Phys.org
If you'd take something (like a sheet of paper) and looked at it from a 90° angle, you wouldn't be able to see that it's actually 3-dimensional, would you? Especially if you didn't have any control at all over it's motion in the third dimension it would be very hard to detect that it actually has a thickness.

The "fourth dimension" usually used in physics, time, is a rather tricky one anyway. According to our mathematical theories, it is very much "the same" as our spatial dimensions, yet our intuition tells us completely the opposite. For one, we are moving through time at a constant velocity (well, through space-time at least) so we have hardly any control about where we go in this dimension.

If you want to talk about string theory with > 9 dimensions, it becomes an even more complicated story so let me not go there ;)

I don't really follow the answer. It might appear as 2d yes, but he even mentioned the atomic level. You can have an object appear as 2d or a point like particle but the closer you get you eventually see that it is does have thickness. Speaking of strings that is something I don't get, how can a 1D string exist if it has length but no width or other dimensions? I know it can vibrate in 3 dimensional space (as well as calabi yau space or whatever other sets of spatial dimension configurations that might exist) but I still can't picture on the Planck length scale viewing the string I'd think it would appear as invisible if it truly had zero thickness.

Bump...

1. What are 2D objects?

2D objects, also known as two-dimensional objects, are shapes or figures that only have two dimensions: length and width. These objects have no thickness or depth, and are typically represented on a flat surface, such as a piece of paper or a computer screen.

2. Can 2D objects exist in a 3D universe?

Yes, 2D objects can exist in a 3D universe. In fact, our universe is made up of both 2D and 3D objects. For example, a piece of paper is a 2D object, but it can exist in our 3D world. Additionally, some scientists believe that our universe may actually have more than three dimensions, making it possible for even more complex shapes and objects to exist.

3. How do 2D objects interact with 3D objects?

2D objects can interact with 3D objects through a process known as projection. This means that a 3D object can be "projected" onto a 2D surface, creating a flat representation of the object. For example, when we look at a photograph of a 3D object, we are seeing a projection of that object onto a 2D surface.

4. What are some potential applications of 2D objects in a 3D universe?

The possibilities for using 2D objects in a 3D universe are endless. Some potential applications include using 2D representations of 3D objects in virtual and augmented reality, creating 2D art and designs that can be viewed from different angles, and exploring the concept of multiple dimensions through mathematical and scientific research.

5. Are there any real-world examples of 2D objects existing in a 3D universe?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of 2D objects existing in a 3D universe. A few examples include shadows (which are 2D projections of 3D objects), computer graphics and animations, and the flat images we see on our computer and phone screens.