The Blue Mystery of Water: Exploring the Science Behind its Color

• Thread starter Typhoon_rising
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, water is a clear liquid that can appear blue due to its ability to absorb other colors and enhance the scattering of blue wavelengths. This is why the ocean appears blue, and why tap water in a white room may also appear blue due to trace minerals. The deeper the water, the more scattering of blue, which is why shallow water appears clear, deeper water appears green, and the deepest water is absent of visible light. This phenomenon can be observed at places like Crater Lake, where the water appears blue regardless of the sky's color.
Typhoon_rising
blue Water !

i have been told that water is a clear liquid ignooring any impurities, and that the ocean is blue because of the sky. This i am perfectly willing to accept, however if you fill a white bucket full of ordinary water from a tap in a white room with no windows, why does it appear blue?

Thanks, Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Typhoon_rising said:
i have been told that water is a clear liquid ignooring any impurities, and that the ocean is blue because of the sky. This i am perfectly willing to accept, however if you fill a white bucket full of ordinary water from a tap in a white room with no windows, why does it appear blue?

Water absobs the other colors somewhat. Clear doesn't necessarily mean colorless. That's also why pictures taken underwater tend to get bluer as you go deeper. In some places, the tap water may also contain trace minerals that make it more blue.

The reason water is blue isn't because the sky is blue. It's because the water enhances the scattering of the blue wavelengths. The more water i.e., deeper) the more scattering of blue. That's why shallow water appears clear, deeper water appears green, and deeper water appears blue. Eventually, the visible wavelengths no longer penetrate, and the deepest water is absent of visible light.

I have visited http://www.nps.gov/crla/" many times, it is blue whether the sky is cloudy or clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot, i understand now :D

1. Why does water appear blue?

Water appears blue because it absorbs longer (red) wavelengths of light and reflects shorter (blue) wavelengths of light. This is due to the molecular structure of water molecules.

2. Does the depth of water affect its blueness?

Yes, the depth of water can affect its blueness. The deeper the water, the more light is absorbed and the bluer it appears. This is why the ocean can appear very dark blue at deeper depths.

3. Are all bodies of water the same shade of blue?

No, the shade of blue can vary depending on the composition of the water and the surrounding environment. For example, glacial lakes may appear a turquoise blue due to the presence of finely ground rock particles in the water.

4. Does the temperature of water affect its color?

Yes, the temperature of water can affect its color. Cold water tends to appear a deeper blue, while warm water may appear more greenish due to the presence of algae and other microorganisms.

5. Can other factors besides light affect the color of water?

Yes, other factors such as pollution, sediment, and dissolved substances can also affect the color of water. For example, water with a high concentration of algae or pollutants may appear green or brownish instead of blue.