Fixing a Bluetooth Controller on a Motorcycle: Please Educate Me

In summary, a friend's motorcycle accessory, a Bluetooth speaker system, had a short cord and he asked for help in extending it. The product was smaller than the person's usual work as an industrial electrician, so they soldered an extension using single 18 gauge conductors. However, the product did not work and they were seeking advice on why and how to fix it. The product was a Harley-Davidson Boom! Audio Bluetooth Cruiser Amp and Speaker Kit, but the installation instructions and user manual were not easily accessible. It was mentioned that the radio EQ needed to be updated by a Harley-Davidson dealer before operating the audio system to avoid damaging the speakers.
Shaneyj
A friend from work bought this product for his motorcycle.
It's a couple of speakers with a Bluetooth controller. The controller will adjust volume and allow the user to toggle through tracks playing on their phone.

The cord was too short. So he asked if I could make it longer.
Sure thing.

Chop it in half, and it's a shielded 6-8 wire cable. Gauge is small, like 26-30. Smaller than I work with (industrial electrician)
I solder a 12" extension using single 18 gauge conductors. That's what was available.

But it no worky.
Any thoughts as to why?
Please educate me.

Thank you

Here's the link to what he has...
https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/boom!-audio-bluetooth-cruiser-amp-and-speaker-kit

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, the HD link is only marginallly helpful. When I click on "Fitment" to get installation instructions, there is no joy.

Can you post a link to the installation instructions and user manual? That may still not be enough, but maybe there is a clue there. Thanks.

Is this the right product?

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/216335?locale=en_US
Did he have Harley "update the radio EQ" (whatever that is) ?
Radio EQ MUST be updated by a Harley-Davidson dealer BEFORE operating the audio system. Operating the audio system prior to radio EQ update will IMMEDIATELY damage the speakers. (00645d)
Radio EQ update using the Digital Technician® II diagnostic tool is:
  • Recommended before speaker INSTALLATION
  • Required before audio system OPERATION.
  • Only available through authorized Harley-Davidson dealers.
scary.

Likes davenn and berkeman

1. How do I know if my Bluetooth controller on my motorcycle needs to be fixed?

There are a few signs that may indicate your Bluetooth controller needs to be fixed. These include difficulty connecting to devices, unresponsive buttons, or sudden disconnections. If you experience any of these issues, it is a good idea to troubleshoot and potentially fix your Bluetooth controller.

2. Can I fix my Bluetooth controller on my motorcycle myself?

It depends on the specific issue with your Bluetooth controller. Some problems, like dead batteries or loose connections, can be easily fixed by yourself. However, more complex issues may require the help of a professional or the purchase of a new controller.

3. What tools do I need to fix my Bluetooth controller on my motorcycle?

The tools needed will vary depending on the specific issue with your controller. However, some common tools that may be needed include a screwdriver, pliers, and a multimeter for testing connections. It is also helpful to have the instruction manual for your controller on hand.

4. Are there any common reasons why a Bluetooth controller on a motorcycle needs to be fixed?

Yes, some common issues with Bluetooth controllers on motorcycles include water damage, dead batteries, and loose connections. These can be caused by exposure to the elements, wear and tear, or improper installation.

5. How can I prevent my Bluetooth controller on my motorcycle from needing to be fixed in the future?

To prevent future issues with your Bluetooth controller, it is important to properly install and maintain it. This includes keeping it dry and protected from the elements, regularly checking and replacing batteries, and ensuring all connections are secure. It is also helpful to follow the manufacturer's instructions and avoid any rough handling or impacts while using the controller.

Back