Choosing My First Luxury Electric Car: BMW i3 vs Tesla Model S Comparison

In summary, the individual is considering purchasing an electric car and is debating between the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S. They are looking for recommendations and have shortlisted these two options based on being cheaper models of reputable brands. The individual believes the Model S is more visually appealing, but the i3 may have a faster charge due to its smaller energy capacity. They also mention that driving 230 miles a week is not a lot and both cars could easily meet their driving needs. They suggest charging the i3 every night and encourage purchasing the Model S as a way to support American car companies.
jobyts
I've decided my next car is going to be an electric. Never owned a fancy car before, so I was wondering why not this time. The short listed ones are BMW i3 and Tesla model S. Shortlisted based on cheaper model of a reputed brand.

BMW i3 is not yet released. Anyone has any recommendations? I drive about 230 miles a typical week.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, in terms of looks, I think the Tesla Model S is a lot sexier. Afterall, it's a sedan while the i3 is a mini. (yuck)

That's just my opinion though. Looking at the facts, the Model S has longer range with all available battery capacities. However, the i3 will have a faster charge (I would assume considering the energy capacity is significantly smaller).

Driving 230 miles is not a lot. So that's 46 miles a day assuming you are talking about a 5 day work week. The i3 will definitely be able to drive you that distance so both cars will meet your driving needs. Just don't forget to charge them! With the i3, do it every night!

If you're in America, buy the Tesla Model S. Be an American patriot and support our car companies. :-)

1. What is the price difference between the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S?

The BMW i3 has an MSRP starting at $44,450 while the Tesla Model S has an MSRP starting at $69,420. However, the exact price difference will depend on the specific trim and optional features chosen for each vehicle.

2. Which car has a longer driving range?

The Tesla Model S has a longer driving range compared to the BMW i3. The Model S has a range of up to 402 miles per charge, while the i3 has a range of up to 153 miles per charge.

3. What is the difference in acceleration between the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S?

The Tesla Model S has a quicker acceleration compared to the BMW i3. The Model S can go from 0 to 60 mph in as little as 1.99 seconds, while the i3 takes 7.2 seconds to reach the same speed.

4. How do the two cars compare in terms of interior space and features?

The Tesla Model S has a larger interior space and more features compared to the BMW i3. The Model S can comfortably seat up to 5 adults, while the i3 can only seat up to 4. The Model S also has more advanced technology and luxury features such as a large touchscreen display and autopilot capabilities.

5. Which car is better for the environment?

Both the BMW i3 and Tesla Model S are considered environmentally friendly vehicles, as they both run on electricity instead of fossil fuels. However, the Model S has a higher efficiency rating and produces zero emissions, making it slightly better for the environment compared to the i3.