Fourier coefficients - dirichlet problem for annulus

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier coefficients in the annulus problem and the discrepancy between the solution for Co and Do. The integral from 0 to 2π is used to solve for Co and Do, but the solution includes a factor of 1/π before the integrals of h and g. The suggestion is made to try integrating u(a,θ) from 0 to 2π to better understand the solution.
Dassinia
Hello

1. Homework Statement

Find the Fourrier coefficients in the annulus problem of the text.
uxx+uyy=0 in 0<a²<x²+y²<b²
u=g(θ) for x²+y²=a²
u=h(θ) for x²+y²=b²

Homework Equations

The solution is
upload_2016-4-21_17-42-38.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solutions but when I solved it for Co and Do I didn't get the same thing, but or all the other coefficients I got the right thing.

Here is the problem
To get Co and Do I did the integral on both sides from 0 to 2π to get rid of the sum.
So I ended up with
upload_2016-4-21_17-47-2.png

But the solution give a factor 1/π Before the integral of h and g , why ?
Thank you !

Try $$\int_0^{2\pi}u(a,\theta) \, d \theta$$ and see what you get. You'll have two sides, one is ##g## and the other is the long series you've posted.

1. What is the Dirichlet problem for an annulus?

The Dirichlet problem for an annulus is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies certain conditions on the boundary of an annulus (a ring-shaped region between two concentric circles) and also satisfies a given partial differential equation inside the annulus.

2. What is the significance of Fourier coefficients in solving the Dirichlet problem for an annulus?

Fourier coefficients are crucial in solving the Dirichlet problem for an annulus because they allow us to express the solution to the problem in terms of a Fourier series, which is a sum of trigonometric functions. This enables us to find a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions and the given equation inside the annulus.

3. How are Fourier coefficients calculated for the Dirichlet problem for an annulus?

To calculate the Fourier coefficients, we use the Fourier series formula and plug in the given function and the boundary conditions. This results in a system of equations that can be solved to find the coefficients. In the case of the Dirichlet problem for an annulus, we use the boundary conditions on the two circles to determine the coefficients.

4. Can the Dirichlet problem for an annulus have multiple solutions?

Yes, in some cases, the Dirichlet problem for an annulus can have multiple solutions. This can occur when the boundary conditions are not strong enough to uniquely determine a solution, or when the function inside the annulus has multiple discontinuities. In these cases, the solution may not be unique and may depend on the chosen boundary conditions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Dirichlet problem for an annulus?

The Dirichlet problem for an annulus has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in heat transfer problems, fluid dynamics, and electrostatics. For example, it can be used to model the temperature distribution in a cylindrical object, the flow of fluid around a circular object, or the electric potential between two concentric conductors.