Boat Tugging a Whale: Solving 2 Unknowns

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, the 12-Mg tugboat uses an inextensible rope to pull a 5.5-Mg humpback whale free from the shore. The average frictional force on the whale is 13000 N.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Am getting stuck with 2 unknowns

Homework Statement

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5883/whaltboat.jpg

The 5.5-Mg humpback whale is stuck on the shore due to changes in the tide. In an effort to rescue the whale, a 12-Mg tugboat is used to pull it free using an inextensible rope tied to its tail. To overcome the frictional force of the sand on the whale, the tug backs up so that the rope becomes slack and then the tug proceeds forward at 3 m/s.
If the tug then turns the engines off, determine the average frictional force F on the whale if sliding occurs for 1.5 s before the tug stops after the rope becomes taut. Also, what is the average force on the rope during the tow?

The Attempt at a Solution

As u can see, I get stuck with 1 equation and two unknowns. I was able to solve for N and a (hopefully I did it correctly) though.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3028/19084315.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7913/16323840.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
to find Tension (T)
tension retards the ship
so
T=mass of ship * acc of ship(a)
T= 12000*2
= 24000 N

now u can find Friction usin

m*a = T -F

F = T - m*a
=24000 - 11000
=13000 N

Hey Fp! :smile:

Can you make an FBD of the ship?

Perhaps that will give you an extra equation?

Good! :)

Do you have enough information now to find the friction force?

What?
No victory dance? :confused:

I got it?!?? :biggrin:

w000t! *victory dance!*Wait, let's do it with calculus now!

Give me pointers, I'm sooooooooooo ready!

Hmm wait according to the manual

F = 24[kN]
T = 24 [kN]

Femme_physics said:

F = 24[kN]
T = 24 [kN]

Hmm, if F equals T, then...
The resultant force on the whale is zero...
That doesn't sound right. :confused:

I know, I think they made a typo (a copy+paste error)! :smile:

Femme_physics said:
I got it?!?? :biggrin:

w000t! *victory dance!*

Wait, let's do it with calculus now!

Give me pointers, I'm sooooooooooo ready!

Ah, but then we would need Captain Calculus! Rawwwr!
He got points and angles!

[PLAIN]http://www.cantonschools.org/~lforastiere/00F5BEEB-0075833E.0/Captain%20Calculus.jpg

Femme_physics said:

F = 24[kN]
T = 24 [kN]

hmmm...sounds right

i got it now: *ques asks for average force...average acceleration is zero so is average net force*

i got the same answer using calculus

darkxponent said:
hmmm...sounds right

i got it now: *ques asks for average force...average acceleration is zero so is average net force*

i got the same answer using calculus

Nope.
Average acceleration is not zero, since it says in the problem: "sliding occurs for 1.5 s before the tug stops".

I like Serena said:
Nope.
Average acceleration is not zero, since it says in the problem: "sliding occurs for 1.5 s before the tug stops".

but it stops after sliding 1.5 s...that means it retards which cancels the intiall acceleration and average becomes zero

I like Serena said:

Oh now you're just patronizing. Humphffh! :-p

So they're mistaken?

Ah, but then we would need Captain Calculus! Rawwwr!
He got points and angles!

LOL where'd you get that from?!? :smile:

Captain Calculus. I'm going to use that haha!

darkxponent said:
but it stops after sliding 1.5 s...that means it retards which cancels the intiall acceleration and average becomes zero

The acceleration is never negative, so it can't cancel, nor can its average become zero.
Femme_physics said:
Oh now you're just patronizing. Humphffh! :-p

So they're mistaken?
LOL where'd you get that from?!? :smile:

Captain Calculus. I'm going to use that haha!

I believe that they are mistaken.I was googling for funny pointers on calculus when I found the book.
Looking at it I found it *mildly enjoyable* :DAnd errrr... I don't know how to do this problem with calculus...

Last edited:
Femme_physics said:
If the tug then turns the engines off, determine the average frictional force F on the whale if sliding occurs for 1.5 s before the tug stops after the rope becomes taut. Also, what is the average force on the rope during the tow?

check this

darkxponent said:
check this

Check what?

I like Serena said:
Check what?

the meanig of the sentence

And errrr... I don't know how to do this problem with calculus...

Really? But I thought you studied physics with calculus since you took it at the university

Femme_physics said:
Really? But I thought you studied physics with calculus since you took it at the university

That's not what I meant. ;)
I could spew a whole lot of calculus formulas here, but it wouldn't be particularly useful for this problem.

Well the thing is that I specifically chose this problem because I saw calculus there and I was wondering if I could sort of "pull it off" (excuse the pun), but I've no clue what they did what they did or how they did what they did but...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1403/calculusdolphine.jpg

Ah, I see.
They used another way to solve the problem.

This is still not really calculus although it looks that way.
They used calculus notation though.

And they used a formula I haven't seen you using yet.
The one about impulse and momentum.
Hold on, I see it now.
Sorry, I made a mistake earlier.

The resultant force on the whale is (T-F), but this force will first accelerate the whale from zero to a certain speed, and after that it will decelerate the whale again, until it is back at zero speed.
This also means that the average acceleration is indeed zero.

On average this means that T and F are equal.
So your answer must indeed be F = 24 kN.
As for the formulas that were used, you have them on your list like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=37233&stc=1&d=1310825361.jpg

If you want, I can explain how they were used.

Attachments

• impulseandmomentum.jpg
    impulseandmomentum.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Good morning, captain! :smile:And aha! it makes sense, then. :smile: Why did they use calculus notation though?

That doesn't really make much sense to me.

Ahoy ahoy sailor! :smile:

The calculus notation comes from the use of "impulse".

Impulse is a varying force that is exerted over a small period of time (the jerking tug in this case).
Typically it is unknown how the force varies exactly.
In cases we would know the varying force F, we would use an integral to sum it up.
That is [itex]J = \int F \cdot dt[/itex].

However, when you work with impulse, you're usually only interested in the total effect, which is the change in momentum. The force F is taken as an average then. Hence the formula [itex]J = F \cdot \Delta t[/itex] on your formula sheet.

Every now and then the calculus notation with an integral is still used to denote the impulse, although there is no intention of actually integrating.

Ah, I see :smile: gotcha. And thanks for the explanation, cap'n!

I really like the fact you took it out of my formula sheet :smile: !

Now where be me rum and me trollops?!? Har!

Arrr - me crank needs attention.
Set sail for trollopallooza, post haste, matey, or I'll swing ye from the yardarm!

(LOL)

Aye aye!

*pulls the anchor and starts calculating the its velocity in various position...*

1. What exactly is "Boat Tugging a Whale: Solving 2 Unknowns"?

"Boat Tugging a Whale: Solving 2 Unknowns" is a scientific experiment that involves using a boat to tow a whale in order to determine two unknown variables: the force required to move the whale and the resistance force of the water against the whale.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the relationship between force, resistance, and motion in a real-life scenario. It can also provide insights into the locomotion of marine animals and the effects of external forces on their movement.

3. How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment is conducted by attaching a rope to the whale and having a boat tow the whale at a constant speed. The force required to move the whale is measured by a dynamometer, while the resistance force of the water is measured using a drag meter.

4. What are the potential applications of the results from this experiment?

The results from this experiment can have various applications, such as improving the design of boats and other water vessels, understanding the movement of marine animals, and developing more efficient methods for towing large objects in water.

5. What are the safety considerations for this experiment?

As with any experiment involving animals, the safety and well-being of the whale involved is of utmost importance. Proper permits and ethical considerations should be in place before conducting the experiment. Additionally, all necessary safety precautions should be taken to ensure the safety of the scientists and others involved in the experiment.