Solve the Mystery: Who Said "A Computer Cannot Make a Perfect Model of Itself"?

• Thread starter Moonrat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bohr
This means that a computer cannot create a perfect replica of itself, as it would need a larger computer to do so. If anyone knows the exact source of this quote, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I will have to concede to my opponent in this debate. So I am asking for help, anyone? Thank you in advance.In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a quote for a debate, possibly from Bohr, Herbert, or von Neumann, stating that a computer cannot create a perfect functioning model of itself without a larger computer. The person is asking for help in finding the exact source of the quote before conceding to their opponent.
Moonrat
Hello, i have a question that the answer is most desired right now..I am in a debate and am looking for a qoute, I think it was either Bohr, Herbert, maybe von nueman, I am not sure, but the qoute is something to the effect that a computer cannot make a perfect functioning model of itself, for it would need a larger computer to do this...

If anyone knows the refrence here, it is much appreciated. If I can't find it, I must concede to my opponent..(yikes, I hate that :surprise: )

help, anyone?

thank you in advance, hope this is the best forum for this

Moonrat

Physics news on Phys.org
The quote is often attributed to John von Neumann, who said, “You can’t make a computer that can make a better computer than itself.”

After conducting some research, I believe the quote you are looking for is from the computer scientist and mathematician John von Neumann. He famously stated, "There is no reason to suppose that a computer could not be designed to mimic a human being perfectly, but there are good reasons for doubting that it could ever be constructed or programmed to be aware of what it has done, and to take responsibility for its actions." This quote touches on the idea that a computer, no matter how advanced, cannot fully replicate the complexity and self-awareness of a human being. I hope this helps in your debate!

1. What is the quote "A Computer Cannot Make a Perfect Model of Itself" referring to?

The quote is referring to the idea that a computer, being a product of human creation, is limited in its ability to fully understand and replicate its own complex functioning and capabilities.

2. Who is credited with saying "A Computer Cannot Make a Perfect Model of Itself"?

The quote is often attributed to mathematician and computer scientist Alan Turing, who is known for his work on artificial intelligence and the concept of the "Turing Test". However, it is possible that the quote has been said or written by other individuals as well.

3. Is it possible for a computer to create a perfect model of itself?

It is debated whether or not a computer can create a perfect model of itself. Some argue that as technology continues to advance, computers may eventually be able to fully understand and replicate their own functioning. Others argue that the complexity of the human brain and consciousness make it impossible for a computer to fully understand and replicate itself.

4. What are the implications of the quote "A Computer Cannot Make a Perfect Model of Itself"?

The quote raises questions about the limitations of artificial intelligence and the ability of computers to truly think and understand like humans. It also brings up the idea of self-awareness and whether or not a computer can truly be self-aware if it cannot fully understand itself.

5. How does this quote relate to the field of artificial intelligence?

The quote is often discussed in the context of artificial intelligence, as it challenges the idea that computers can eventually surpass human intelligence and understanding. It also raises questions about the limitations and boundaries of AI and its potential for self-awareness.