Why are UNF threads being used in this high temperature Boiler Code application?

• Thread starter Pkruse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bolts
In summary, The conversation revolved around the assembly of a high temperature Boiler Code application where nickel and Chrome alloys were used for the high temperatures. The design engineer opted for UNF threads and threaded rods with nuts on both ends instead of hex bolts due to cost and strength advantages. The use of certified fasteners is recommended for critical applications, but for large systems like boilers, off-the-shelf fasteners are typically used. The use of studs with threads on both ends is not uncommon as long as they have certified strength. It was also mentioned that all materials used in the project were certified, including the nickel super alloys commonly found in jet engines.
Pkruse
I saw the assembly of a high temperature Boiler Code application the other day. They used nickel and Chrome alloys for the high temperatures. I found the flanges to be particularly interesting. They were using UNF threads, which is not common in boilers, and they were using threaded rod with nuts on both ends.

So I talked with the design engineer. He had called out hex bolts on the drawing, but approved the change because they had a long lead time and were much more expensive. He also said that he likes the threaded rods better anyway because they are stronger, because they eliminate a KT between the shank and the head.

He used the UNF threads only because his customer was in love with them.

Have any of you ever considered this KT in one of your designs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In critical applications where safety or performance are concerns, it's best practice to use certified fasteners (e.g. fastener lots that have had a statistical sample tested for strength). I could see how an engineer might be interested in the stress concentrator between the shank & head of a bolt if they're designing a bolt from scratch, but in the design of a large system (like a boiler) which uses off-the-shelf fasteners, I doubt you'd take this into account. More likely you'll find certified fasteners which are strong enough for your application.

Using a stud with threads on both ends doesn't strike me as particurally unusual, as long as you're able to find a stud with certified strength equal to that of the equivalent bolt.

I'm assuming that all material in this project is certified. They used the same nickel super alloys you see in a jet engine from the same suppliers.

1. What are the different types of bolts and studs used in boilers?

There are several types of bolts and studs used in boilers, including hex bolts, carriage bolts, stud bolts, and tap-end studs. These bolts and studs are made of high-quality, heat-resistant materials such as carbon steel, alloy steel, and stainless steel.

2. How are bolts and studs used in boilers?

Bolts and studs are used to fasten various components of a boiler together, such as the boiler tubes, plates, and supports. They are also used to secure the boiler to its foundation and to attach external pipes and fittings.

3. What is the difference between bolts and studs?

The main difference between bolts and studs is that bolts have a head on one end and threads on the other, while studs have threads on both ends. Bolts are used with nuts to hold two or more parts together, while studs are typically used with a nut and a washer on each end to secure large or heavy components.

4. How are bolts and studs sized for boilers?

The size of bolts and studs used in boilers is determined by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. The size is based on the diameter and length of the bolt or stud, as well as the material and the pressure and temperature conditions of the boiler.

5. What is the importance of proper installation and maintenance of bolts and studs in boilers?

Proper installation and maintenance of bolts and studs in boilers is crucial for the safe and efficient operation of the boiler. Loose or damaged bolts and studs can lead to leaks or failures, which can result in accidents or costly repairs. Regular inspections and replacements of worn or damaged bolts and studs can prevent these issues and ensure the longevity of the boiler.