Bomb blast in Oslo; PM's office building targeted.

In summary, a bomb blast occurred in Oslo, targeting the office building of the Prime Minister. The explosion caused significant damage to the building and surrounding areas, injuring multiple people. The attack is believed to be a deliberate act of terrorism, and the authorities are investigating the incident. The Prime Minister was not present at the time of the blast, and no group has claimed responsibility for the attack yet. Security measures have been heightened in the area, and an investigation is ongoing to determine the motive behind the attack.
Astronuc said:
It seems to be a rather large car bomb given the extent of damage over several blocks.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14252515

Several fatalities and injuries. :frown:

Agree, check out "arildno’s" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Nnujn_SSM&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Nnujn_SSM

If "only" < 10 was killed in this terrible attack, it’s nothing but a miracle... this is in the center of Oslo... :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Damn terrorists. This sort of thing makes me sad, and very angry.

true... confusing mixed feelings...

:mad::cry:

arildno said:
A horror report at Norwegian radio from one of the members from the rescue boats to Utøya:

He estimated that he saw AT LEAST 25-30 shot&dead teenagers lying in the coastal zone/floating in the waters around the island.
This is not officially confirmed.

There has been a report that the purported assassin had a Scandinavian outlook, blond.

It MIGHT be a Timothy McVeigh scenario we have witnessed, where a neo-nazi group has attacked the dominant centres of Labour party power, i.e, the PM office and the Labour Party "school" at Utøya.

I can’t take this anymore... the world HAS gone crazy

arildno said:
A horror report at Norwegian radio from one of the members from the rescue boats to Utøya:

He estimated that he saw AT LEAST 25-30 shot&dead teenagers lying in the coastal zone/floating in the waters around the island.
This is not officially confirmed.

There has been a report that the purported assassin had a Scandinavian outlook, blond.

It MIGHT be a Timothy McVeigh scenario we have witnessed, where a neo-nazi group has attacked the dominant centres of Labour party power, i.e, the PM office and the Labour Party "school" at Utøya.

And if it is, will you apologize to the Muslims you blamed?

Jack21222 said:
And if it is, will you apologize to the Muslims you blamed?
Good heavens, why?

It is neither a criminal, nor an immoral, nor irrational act to blame the groups commonly associated with such atrocities.

Whatever they might feel about it, whether my initial suspicion proves right or wrong.

Speculations are pointless/just garbage.

I feel sorry for all the families and people who suffered.

Interesting analysis article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14256438
"If the bomb blast in Oslo turns out to be a terror attack, it will mark a 9/11 moment for Norway."

They may well do so again now, though this time might be different.

Norway's attitude to risk might now change, quickly and dramatically, as private individuals withdraw and as central authorities bolster security.

If so, a possible goal of the attackers may well have been achieved, in that they have robbed Norway of its innocence.

It does not have much substance related to the accident.

Last edited:
10 confirmed dead at Utøya; at least 17 brought to hospitals, many of them with hypothermic body temperatures indicative of having floated in the weter

The police are interrogating the suspect from Utøya at the moment.

They have, in one report confirmed that there are what seems to be observations of this individual in Oslo prior to the bomb explosion.It MIGHT therefore be a loner operation, a highly organized individual first placing the bomb in Oslo, and then driving off to Utøya (roughly an hour's drive, I think).

On the other hand, he may have waited to see that the others' work was successful, before launching his own sub-operation.

A disturbing report talks about a possible bomb having gone off in the 3rd or 4th floor (possibly in conjunction with a car bomb) in the government building, either indicative of an insider's job, or a highly inadequate security apparatus.

according to NYT:

A terror group, Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami, or the Helpers of the Global Jihad, issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, according to Will McCants, a terrorism analyst at C.N.A., a research institute that studies terrorism. The message said the attack was a response to Norwegian forces’ presence in Afghanistan and to unspecified insults to the Prophet Muhammad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/23/world/europe/23oslo.html?_r=2&hp

A press conference by the Prime Minister is imminent.

Minister of Justice has officially confirmed that the arrested individual was a Norwegian.

arildno said:
Minister of Justice has officially confirmed that the arrested individual was a Norwegian.
Are they a member of that group, or have they been able to verify yet?

Evo said:
Are they a member of that group, or have they been able to verify yet?
Nothing like that has surfaced.
The arrested individual is the fake policeman (who, reportedly, was spotted in Oslo just prior to the explosion there).

I am inclining towards a despicable Timothy McVeigh-type behind these attacks, possibly acting alone.

arildno said:
Nothing like that has surfaced.
The arrested individual is the fake policeman (who, reportedly, was spotted in Oslo just prior to the explosion there).

I am inclining towards a despicable Timothy McVeigh-type behind these attacks, possibly acting alone.
I hope it is not something more organized and insidious than a lone nut-case.

turbo-1 said:
I hope it is not something more organized and insidious than a lone nut-case.

If that IS the case, it might have grave consequences in stifling perfectly legitimate criticisms from conservative milieux highly critical of, for example, multiculturalist dogmas, by smearing them with this vile act.

I wish I could be there. I hope all involved are rounded up quickly so they don't learn from this in re. to further plans they might have.

A police conference is imminent at 23.15, local time.

Undetonated explosives have been found at Utøya.

The fake policeman is described as ethnic Norwegian, 32 years old.

7 killed in Oslo, 9-10 gravely wounded.

At the moment, 10 confirmed dead at Utøya, but the police mayor in oslo says reports from the "fine search" leads us to expect more dead.

My deepest condolences to all of your fellow countrymen, arildno. I hope that the people who did this are brought swiftly to justice - whoever it is.

Borg said:
My deepest condolences to all of your fellow countrymen, arildno. I hope that the people who did this are brought swiftly to justice - whoever it is.
Thank you for your words.

IF this is a right winger, norwegian blogs are surfacing rumours of a norwegian in the right age group who was charged for murder attempts and illegal weapons possessions back in 2001. he had also police&military uniforms then.

Then, 10 years ago, he was 23.

That is NOT confirmed.
From what I can see, Anders is 35, not 32.

It might be a c*ck-up, because his home address is an apartment BLOCK that is rumoured to be the one now razziaed by the police.

There are MANY blond Norwegians, even in the same apartment block..

EDIT:
Seems Anders is born in 1979, but these are still UNCONFIRMED rumours.

I've deleted the FB info on that person, we can restore it if it turns out to be him.

I can't believe, but must accept this has happened again. My thoughts are with your people, especially those young lives on that island, their families and friends. I hope the perpetrators are brought to justice. Hang tough, arildno...

Rhody...

arildno said:
That is NOT confirmed.
From what I can see, Anders is 35, not 32.

It might be a c*ck-up, because his home address is an apartment BLOCK that is rumoured to be the one now razziaed by the police.

There are MANY blond Norwegians, even in the same apartment block..

EDIT:
Seems Anders is born in 1979, but these are still UNCONFIRMED rumours.

Ops sorry ... :redface:

They said on Sky News that it was confirmed on Norwegian TV that his name is xxxx xxxx, but if this is wrong ... well better to be 100% before posting ...

@Evo: Okay, thanks

It is now confirmed that the suspect IS Anders Behring breivik

Evo said:
I've deleted the FB info on that person, we can restore it if it turns out to be him.

It's also bit personal level details that don't add any value.

I am not as much concerned about the nut who did this (I don't care who he is) but the implications of this accident are more important. I linked analysis article earlier which touches on some of the implications.

arildno said:
It is now confirmed that the suspect IS Anders Behring breivik

I knew it!

His special interests fit this kind of 'personality':

Winston Churchill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Manus"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_science"

And his first last-name is German, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
No.
Behring can easily be danish

Okay, thanks

so is it true that most of the government was off on holiday when this happened?

The police has confirmed that at least 80 people have died at Utøya. This is much worse than expected! :(

Werg22 said:
Those words, are you going to eat them?
Its late in Norway, so ...

The full conversation was:
Lisa said:
I'm ignorant about Norwegian politics - are there any internal groups (anarchists, fringe political groups, etc.) who could possibly do such a thing? ...

Adrilno said:
Members of the Religion of Peace.
We have quite of a lot of them here.

Werg, you are aware the above is a factually correct (if sarcastic) answer to that question, and that the answer was not unreasonably narrow, or not?

Norway charges Islamist leader over death threats to a former cabinet minister

http://articles.cnn.com/2004-01-02/world/sprj.irq.norway_1_mullah-krekar-norway-ansar?_s=PM:WORLD"
Norwegian officials have arrested the former leader of an Iraqi Islamic militant group of about 600 fighters ... Washington has said the group has ties to al Qaeda.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/08/29/world/main6816164.shtml

It is now reported that at least 80 at the youth camp are dead. What a monster!

Last edited:
In a country so unaccustomed to violence, this has been unthinkable. These crazed people take much more then lives from us. I am so sorry for your country, Adrilno.

Very sad news, I am shock for this horrible attack.

In Middle East the media claim the terrorist "police" is Norwegian Christian from the extreme right wing.

I wish that we can wait until the official statement of the Norwegian government before some people -as usual- using these attacks for propaganda and spreading hate!

I do believe that Muslims should annihilate all the terrorists and the religious men who supporting them, even if they did not do this attack.