1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book advice for preparation graduate class

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    hi,

i'm an agriculture engineer and i want to take graduate degree in Physics -especially Astrophysics. i'm 36 years old. i need to remember many course. therefore, i'm searching best books in this forum. but i can't make a decision which them are the best...

also i have these books

Physics for Scientist and Engineers - Giancoli
    University Physics with Modern Physics - Young & Freedman
    Physics for Scientist and Engineers - Jewett / Serwey
    Principles of Physics - Halliday - Resnick - Walker
    Modern Physics from alpha to zeta - James William Rohlf
    Berkeley Physics Courses - Mechanics
    Berkeley Physics Courses - Electric and Magnetism

according to you, these books are enough for preparation (graduate class) or i need anothers...

from now, thanks your advices

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    What exactly do you mean by "graduate class"?

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    sorry my English... it mean Master of Science Program..

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4
    What classes are you exactly looking at? all the books you listed are first year undergraduate texts.

I'm not sure what an agricultural degree entails, but if you want to major in physics for an MSc, you need a BSc first.

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5
    i'm from Turkey. and i can take Msc without Bsc. of course, first i have to pass science exam of the institute. science exam covers 1. and 2. years courses (according to your system first year undergraduate courses)... after i must take scientific prep. courses. then i can start Msc program.

therefore i want to (have to) study and learn main subjects of the physics. i'm not sure books that i listed above are enough.

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6
    Alright, yeah, I'm unfamiliar with the system used in turkey.

I assume you already know single-variable calculus, right?

I have Halliday-Resnick (Fundamentals of Physics). It's not great, but it was ok for a first year course. If you cover all the mechanics chapters, plus the E&M ones, you should be ok for a first year class.

All first year calculus physics texts are pretty much the same. I've yet to see a first year book that I consider good.

Doing some quick research, it seems a BSc in Turkey is an 8 semester program, not 2 semesters.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. Feb 20, 2013 #7
    yes, Bsc program is 8 semester...

calculus... hımm i think i must study a little bit for remember...

9. Feb 20, 2013 #8
    If it's 8 semesters, you're gonna need a whole lot more than just intro physics.

That's why I asked you why what you meant by "graduate" classes.

If you really intend to self-study an entire physics BSc, you've got a long road ahead of you, and these books are only the very beginning.

10. Feb 20, 2013 #9
    which books do you suggest?

11. Feb 20, 2013 #10
    Well, a basic undergraduate course list looks something like this:

Intro physics 1
    Intro physics 2
    Calculus 1
    Calculus 2
    Calculus 3
    Classical mechanics
    Thermodynamics
    Electrodynamics 1
    Electrodynamics 2
    Electronics
    linear algebra
    Optics
    Modern physics
    Quantum mechanics 1
    Quantum mechanics 2

Plus your lab courses. My university has intermediate lab and advanced lab (introduction lab is tied with intro physics)

This is the bare minimum for a basic physics BSc. Don't worry about any other books yet, do some calculus and intro physics, and come back when you're done.

12. Feb 20, 2013 #11
    thanks your suggestions... i'm going to study immediately... as you said first i must finish introductions :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook