A good book for tensor notation....

In summary, The conversation is about the need to learn tensor notation in order to understand classical field theory and electrodynamics. The person is looking for recommendations for introductory books on tensor notation. Some suggestions are Landau-Lifshitz vol. II, as well as more modern books such as those by Hehl and Obukhov, and Schutz. Other helpful resources include the book "Quick introduction to tensor analysis" by Sharipov and the book "Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity, and Cosmology" by Dalarsson. The person also mentions enjoying the book "Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity, and Cosmology" by Dalarsson.
Mrinmoy Naskar
I am doing my M.sc in physics.. In my course I have classical field theory and electrodynamics... I need to learn tensor notations to understand the above subjects...
Please tell me about some good introductory books to learn tensor notation to handle things in electrodynamics and classical field theory...

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "tensor notation". If it's the "index gymnastics" of the Ricci calculus, you can take, e.g., Landau-Lifshitz vol. II (covers fundamental classical electrodynamics and general relativity). IMHO it's the best intro textbook for these topics.

1. What is tensor notation?

Tensor notation is a mathematical language used to describe and manipulate tensors, which are mathematical objects that represent geometric quantities such as vectors and matrices. It is commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. Why is tensor notation important?

Tensor notation is important because it allows for concise and elegant representation of complex mathematical concepts. It is also the standard notation used in many fields of science and engineering, making it essential for effective communication and understanding.

3. How does tensor notation differ from other mathematical notations?

Tensor notation differs from other mathematical notations in that it uses index notation, where indices are used to represent the components of a tensor. This allows for compact representation of tensors with multiple dimensions, compared to other notations such as matrix notation.

4. What are some common applications of tensor notation?

Tensor notation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is particularly useful in areas such as general relativity, fluid mechanics, and image processing.

5. How can I learn tensor notation?

There are many resources available for learning tensor notation, including textbooks, online courses, and tutorials. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and multivariable calculus before diving into tensor notation. Practice and application of the notation is also crucial for mastery.