1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Books for Beginners (Astronomy & Astrophysics)

1. Jun 23, 2015 #1
    In the next month, I'll study about Astronomy and AStrophysics, so what are the good books for me ? Please ! I really love Astronomy !

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2
    Well this probably won't be the best advice but watching documentaries can be very very helpful especially if you're looking into a specific topic, like black holes or string theory or anything really. Im not sure if you're a beginner but learning the basic fundamentals of physics is very important, it also makes it easier to get in the mathematics if you have a good background on general physics theory. From what i've observed online these books are pretty popular in the Astrophysics/Astronomy community, The Elegant Universe ( great for a interest in string theory and astrophysics), Carrol-Ostlie's "An Introduction to modern astrophysics", The Universe in a Nutshell & A Brief History of Space and Time by Stephen Hawking and also Fundamental Astronomy (Springer-Verlag). I hope i helped in some essential way, also with theory try and get into Pre- calculus/ Calculus 1 after a good understanding of Astrophysics theory or during either way. Going on youtube and looking up on lectures can be very helpful, especially for calculus.

4. Jun 24, 2015 #3
    Thank for your help !

5. Jun 24, 2015 #4
    I'm glad i helped :)

6. Jun 26, 2015 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ugly part is you need a good understanding of calculus and other obscure knowledge, and like it,

7. Jun 29, 2015 #6

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Look for 365 Starry Nights: An Introduction to Astronomy for Every Night of the Year. It is a nice primer for Astronomy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted