Books for Beginners (Astronomy & Astrophysics)

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for books and resources for studying Astronomy and Astrophysics. The speaker suggests watching documentaries and having a strong understanding of basic physics concepts before delving into the mathematics. They also recommend specific books, such as The Elegant Universe and Fundamental Astronomy, and suggest looking into calculus as well. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude for the advice and mentioning a book called 365 Starry Nights as a helpful resource.
darklight72
In the next month, I'll study about Astronomy and AStrophysics, so what are the good books for me ? Please ! I really love Astronomy !

Physics news on Phys.org
Well this probably won't be the best advice but watching documentaries can be very very helpful especially if you're looking into a specific topic, like black holes or string theory or anything really. I am not sure if you're a beginner but learning the basic fundamentals of physics is very important, it also makes it easier to get in the mathematics if you have a good background on general physics theory. From what I've observed online these books are pretty popular in the Astrophysics/Astronomy community, The Elegant Universe ( great for a interest in string theory and astrophysics), Carrol-Ostlie's "An Introduction to modern astrophysics", The Universe in a Nutshell & A Brief History of Space and Time by Stephen Hawking and also Fundamental Astronomy (Springer-Verlag). I hope i helped in some essential way, also with theory try and get into Pre- calculus/ Calculus 1 after a good understanding of Astrophysics theory or during either way. Going on youtube and looking up on lectures can be very helpful, especially for calculus.

Likes darklight72
Nevednobluda said:
Well this probably won't be the best advice but watching documentaries can be very very helpful especially if you're looking into a specific topic, like black holes or string theory or anything really. I am not sure if you're a beginner but learning the basic fundamentals of physics is very important, it also makes it easier to get in the mathematics if you have a good background on general physics theory. From what I've observed online these books are pretty popular in the Astrophysics/Astronomy community, The Elegant Universe ( great for a interest in string theory and astrophysics), Carrol-Ostlie's "An Introduction to modern astrophysics", The Universe in a Nutshell & A Brief History of Space and Time by Stephen Hawking and also Fundamental Astronomy (Springer-Verlag). I hope i helped in some essential way, also with theory try and get into Pre- calculus/ Calculus 1 after a good understanding of Astrophysics theory or during either way. Going on youtube and looking up on lectures can be very helpful, especially for calculus.
Thank for your help !

darklight72 said:
Thank for your help !
I'm glad i helped :)

Likes darklight72
The ugly part is you need a good understanding of calculus and other obscure knowledge, and like it,

Look for 365 Starry Nights: An Introduction to Astronomy for Every Night of the Year. It is a nice primer for Astronomy.

1. What are some good beginner books for learning about astronomy and astrophysics?

Some good beginner books for learning about astronomy and astrophysics include "Astronomy for Dummies" by Stephen P. Maran, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

2. Are there any interactive books for beginners to learn about astronomy and astrophysics?

Yes, there are many interactive books available for beginners to learn about astronomy and astrophysics. Some examples include "The Practical Astronomer" by Anton Vamplew and Wil Tirion, which comes with a CD-ROM containing interactive simulations and animations, and "The Solar System" by Marcus Chown, which comes with a 3D model of the solar system that readers can assemble.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or background in science to understand these books?

No, these books are designed for beginners and do not require any prior knowledge or background in science. They use simple language and explanations to make complex concepts accessible to all readers.

4. Are there any books specifically for children to learn about astronomy and astrophysics?

Yes, there are many books specifically geared towards children to learn about astronomy and astrophysics. Some examples include "National Geographic Kids First Big Book of Space" by Catherine D. Hughes, "The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System" by Joanna Cole, and "The Universe: Explained for Kids" by Richard Hammond.

5. Are there any updated versions of these beginner books for astronomy and astrophysics?

Yes, many of these beginner books for astronomy and astrophysics are regularly updated to include new discoveries and advancements in the field. It is always a good idea to check for the most recent edition of a book before purchasing or borrowing it.