Boolean algebra - distribution

In summary, the problem is that the attempt to show that the equation ##(a \vee c')(b' \vee c')(a' \vee d)## is equivalent to the equation ##(a \vee c')(b' \vee c')(a' \vee d)## fails because the term ##ab'a'## differs and can not be eliminated. The problem is solved by adopting the axiom that ##x\wedge x' = 0##.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I am trying to show that ##a'c' \vee c'd \vee ab'd ## is equivalent to ## (a \vee c')(b' \vee c')(a' \vee d) ##

The attempt
## (a \vee c')(b' \vee c')(a' \vee d) \\ (c' \vee (ab'))(a' \vee d)##
The following step is the step I am unsure about. I am distributing the left parenthesis over the right.
## (c' \vee (ab'))(a' \vee d) \\ c'a \vee c'd \vee ab'a' \vee ab'd##

I am almost there but the term ##ab'a'## differs. I suspect that you can remove that term since it does not afect the output because it is always false. What do you say about that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show ##ab'a' = 0##?

Likes Rectifier
Unfortunately, I cant, but I know it is true for all values of 1 and 0 for a and b. Since ##a## is the opposite of ##a'## this means that ##a \wedge a'## will always be 0 and it does not matter which value b has . I can write a truth table but I am on my phone so its a bit hard.

What are your axioms for Boolean algebra?

Likes Rectifier
Are you thinking about ##x \cdot x' = 0## ?

I don't know, how did you define a boolean algebra?

In boolean algebra variables can only have two values.

Either you tell me how you defined a boolean algebra, or I'm out of this thread.

I am sorry that my answer didn't fit you but I can't come up with anything better. In any case, I am thankful for the help I have received so far.

How are you supposed to prove anything about a Boolean algebra if you're not given its definition or anything??

Those are axioms for a structure that is called a bounded lattice. It's not the axioms for a Boolean algebra. Usually, there are 10 axioms for a Boolean algebra. They can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_algebra_(structure)#Definition

Note that in this case, it is an axiom that ##x\wedge x' = 0##. This is why I asked for your definition, since you might adopt different (but equivalent) ways of doing things.

Likes Rectifier
I didnt think they were different :). Thank you for you help kind stranger!

So now I can basically remove that ab'a'. Halleluja, I am done with that problen.

1. What is the distributive property in Boolean algebra?

The distributive property in Boolean algebra states that when combining two or more logical statements using the OR operator, the result is true if at least one of the statements is true. Similarly, when using the AND operator, the result is true only if all of the statements are true.

2. How is the distributive property used in Boolean algebra?

The distributive property is used to simplify and manipulate logical statements in Boolean algebra. It allows for the conversion of complex statements into simpler forms, making them easier to evaluate and analyze.

3. Can the distributive property be applied to more than two statements?

Yes, the distributive property can be applied to any number of statements. For example, the statement (A OR B) AND C can be simplified to (A AND C) OR (B AND C) using the distributive property.

4. Are there any other properties similar to the distributive property in Boolean algebra?

Yes, there are several other properties that are similar to the distributive property in Boolean algebra, such as the associative property, commutative property, and identity property. These properties also allow for the simplification of logical statements.

5. Why is the distributive property important in Boolean algebra?

The distributive property is important in Boolean algebra because it is a fundamental property that allows for the manipulation and simplification of logical statements. It is also a key component in the development of more complex Boolean expressions and circuits used in computer science and digital electronics.