Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boolean Algebra Simplification Property Question

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1
    Hi I am not sure where to post this question but I am trying to simplify this expression:

r*c'w+c (As in R AND NOT C AND W OR C) to c+wr (As in C OR W AND R) and I know that it simplifies to this and they are both equivalent; however my question is which boolean simplification property is used here? Is it the Absorption principle? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2
    No, I don't think so. It follows from the distributive property of OR over AND, combined with the compementation principle x OR x' = 1.

Is this homework?

4. Jun 18, 2013 #3
    No it's a worked example left for us to solve if we wanted extra practice. And that's what I thought initially. So it is using the distributive property and then the complement theory. Thank you.

5. Jun 18, 2013 #4
    Also one last question. When expressions are functionally equivalent like the two above, can they always be reduced to being identical? I am assuming yes, because they are equal to begin with, correct?

6. Jun 18, 2013 #5
    Two Boolean expressions that have the same variables are equal if and only if they have identical truth tables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook