Can a Three-State Logic System Revolutionize Computing?

• Thread starter ocalhoun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a new type of computer with three states - horizontal, vertical, and both - which would require a different type of logic. The speaker is unsure of how this would affect the logic and is wondering what new types of logic gates would be required. They mention using "tri-valued logic" or "triple-valued logic" and note that this project has not yet produced a functioning computer.
ocalhoun
Normal boolean logic works with two states; true and false, which works fine with today's computer systems, which work with 1's and 0's.

However, I'm working on a new type of computer (Just need to figure out one last part about the 'and' gate), which will have three states (--,|,+).
I'm thinking this would be horizontal, vertical, and both.

What I'm wondering, is how this effects the logic of it. (true, false, or both?)
What would this system of logic look like, and what different or new types of logic gates would be required?

It wouldn't be too difficult, except for the fact that I can't seem to make sense of something being both true and false.

As an example, here's an IO chart for a 'not' gate:
In Out
--..|
|...--
+...+
And an 'or' gate:
InA InB Out
.--..--...--
.--...|...|
.--...+...|
..|...|...|
..|...+...|
..+...+...|

I'm thinking that I'll have to use more than the normal three basic gates (which all the others are made of), but what will the others be like?

If this should be in the computers section instead, forgive me, but I don't think so, as this project hasn't produced anything I'd call a 'computer' yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Google with "tri-valued logic" or "triple-valued logic". You should get a lot of hits.

It's interesting to see someone exploring the idea of adding a third state to boolean logic. As you mentioned, traditional boolean logic works with only two states, true and false, and is represented by 1's and 0's in computer systems. This has been the standard for many years and has served us well in computing.

Adding a third state could potentially open up new possibilities and applications, but it also presents some challenges. As you mentioned, it becomes difficult to make sense of something being both true and false at the same time. This goes against the fundamental principles of traditional boolean logic.

In terms of how this would affect the logic and the new types of logic gates that would be required, it's hard to say without knowing more about your specific system. However, some possible approaches could be to use ternary logic gates, which would have three inputs and one output, or to use a combination of traditional boolean gates and a new type of gate for the third state.

Additionally, it's worth considering how this new system would interact with existing computer systems that are designed to work with only two states. This could potentially create compatibility issues and make it challenging to integrate your new logic into existing systems.

Overall, it's an interesting concept to explore, but it will require careful consideration and testing to ensure that it is practical and effective. It may also be worth reaching out to experts in the field of computer logic to get their insights and feedback on your ideas. Good luck with your project!

Related to Can a Three-State Logic System Revolutionize Computing?

1. What is Boolean logic?

Boolean logic is a type of mathematical logic that deals with two values: true and false. It was named after mathematician George Boole, and is widely used in computer science and digital electronics to make decisions based on these two values.

2. How does Boolean logic work?

Boolean logic works by using logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT to combine or modify true and false values. These operators allow for complex statements to be made by evaluating the truth values of individual components.

3. What is the purpose of using Boolean logic in computer programming?

Boolean logic is essential in computer programming because it allows for the creation of conditional statements that control the flow of a program. It also enables programmers to search for specific data and make comparisons, which are crucial for data analysis and decision-making processes.

4. How is Boolean logic used in search engines?

Search engines use Boolean logic to perform complex searches and retrieve relevant results. By using logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT, users can refine their search queries and get more accurate results.

5. What are some common mistakes when using Boolean logic?

Some common mistakes when using Boolean logic include using incorrect or missing operators, not understanding the order of operations, and not considering all possible scenarios. It is important to carefully plan and test Boolean expressions to avoid these mistakes and ensure accurate results.