Moving from academia to biotech after 8 years in a small R&D company

  • Thread starter Thread starter not a quark
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Industry Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
not a quark
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I've been working at a small R&D company for almost 8 years since my PhD. The things I do are not particularly related to my thesis research. I've had some projects of my own that went fine, but mostly I've ended up working on co-workers' stuff. Being a small place with a capricious promotion policy I've had the same title this whole time, which also doesn't look great on the ole resume. Now a gov. grant that I was really excited about that could have lead to good new opportunities has been turned down. I think I would like to transition into a biotech/biomedical related job (i.e. much closer to my personal interests), but opportunities to publish and get to conferences have been slim.

So I am feeling rather stuck. While I have confidence in my skills I'm not sure I look that great on paper, I have virtually zero contacts in the biotech world, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I think I have reached the limit of my professional growth at this job due to circumstance, company size, etc. Now what?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Who knows...but at least you're Dr. Not a quark, so you're better off than most. :)
 
Not sure if this is too much of a personal question but I'll ask anyway. What kind of work do physics PhDs do in R&D, or at the very least, what do they do in your field/job? The majority of the posts in this section are basically about technical jobs being scare and them being even rarer outside of defense, oil & gas and finance, which is why I am interested in what you do. :-)
 
Yup, defense work. Largely driven by military fads and half-hearted attempts by Pentagon brass to be hip to new technology trends.
 
The solution is to network. Cultivate contacts among other industries where you might like to work. Join a few societies, work on standards, things like that. Then, you'll be able to meet the sorts of people who can help you write your own ticket.

Eight years is enough to get you started if you have the degrees...