What Component Can Boost a Low Voltage Signal from a Computer Fan?

In summary, Chris is trying to build an anemometer using an old computer fan, but is having trouble getting a strong enough signal from the fan's voltmeter. He has tried using an op amp and an npn transistor amp to boost the signal, but is still not getting the desired range of 500-3000mV. Other suggestions include using a different type of motor or adapting optical sensors or magnets to the fan shaft. It is also mentioned that computer fans are brushless and have a chip that switches coils, making it difficult to get a strong signal.
goobley
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to build a sort of anemometer using an old computer fan. I have the hardware side of things set and was able to get my voltmeter on it whilst it was spinning, unfortunately it puts out somewhere between 1 and 8mV, which was a little less than I was hoping for as the other models i tested put out about 500-1200mV. However they are not suitable for this task.

I have tried boosting this signal using an old op amp I had (an ne5532p) but have had no luck (possibly due to no switching power supply on it). I've also tried an npn transistor amp, but unsurprisingly I have no transistors that will flip at such low voltage.

If anybody has any ideas about what component to use to boost this signal, to about 500-3000mV I would be very grateful

Thanks in advance
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
goobley said:
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to build a sort of anemometer using an old computer fan. I have the hardware side of things set and was able to get my voltmeter on it whilst it was spinning, unfortunately it puts out somewhere between 1 and 8mV, which was a little less than I was hoping for as the other models i tested put out about 500-1200mV. However they are not suitable for this task.

I have tried boosting this signal using an old op amp I had (an ne5532p) but have had no luck (possibly due to no switching power supply on it). I've also tried an npn transistor amp, but unsurprisingly I have no transistors that will flip at such low voltage.

If anybody has any ideas about what component to use to boost this signal, to about 500-3000mV I would be very grateful

Thanks in advance
Chris

You should be able to achieve such amplification with any reasonable opamp.

You could also take a look at some ECG amplifier circuits as most of them operate within the mV range.

Ok, thanks for the rapid response, I'll get my power sorted out properly now that I know that the op amp should work in principle.
Thanks
Chris

What sort of motor does this fan have? Many of them are not just simple DC motors. Yours may well have a control circuit in it that won't allow it to act as a generator. Is that 8mV that you measured, AC or DC? Before doing anything else, have a look at it in detail and see what's actually inside it. You may find another motor will do the job for you.

Last edited:
indeed, is that millivoltage even proportional to motor speed?
if it has brushes there'll be friction torque
if it has permanent magnets there'll likely be reluctance torque

you may well be ahead to adapt the optical sensors from a computer mouse to the fan shaft.

If you want to get down and dirty, like that, you could just hang a magnet on the shaft and look at the current in a hand wound coil.
I think, for an anemometer, you want really free movement so, as Jim implies, a motor really may not be the way to do it. Optical or weak magnetic coupling would probably be better. In any case, you will need to amplify any signal you get. But that's not a problem.

Computer fans are brushless. You'll get near zero signal out if them.

This is because there's a little chip that switches coils in and off to impell a set of magnets. But chips like these aren't bidirectional for power flow.

You need to take the chip out and connect to the coil(s). You should get very nice impulses when the magnets go past.

What is "boosting a very low voltage"?

"Boosting a very low voltage" refers to the process of increasing the voltage of an electrical signal that is too low to be used in a particular application. This is commonly done through the use of boost converters or voltage regulators.

Why is it necessary to boost a very low voltage?

Boosting a very low voltage is necessary in situations where the voltage of a signal is not high enough to be used in a particular device or circuit. This can be due to various factors such as long distance transmission, weak signal strength, or the need for higher voltage for proper functioning of a device.

What are some common methods for boosting a very low voltage?

Some common methods for boosting a very low voltage include using boost converters, voltage regulators, transformers, and charge pumps. The specific method used will depend on the specific application and the voltage requirements.

Are there any risks or drawbacks to boosting a very low voltage?

One potential drawback of boosting a very low voltage is the potential for increased noise in the signal. It is important to carefully design and implement the boosting process to minimize any negative effects on the signal. Additionally, boosting a very low voltage may require additional components and power consumption, which can add complexity and cost to the overall system.

Can boosting a very low voltage be done in all situations?

No, boosting a very low voltage may not be possible in all situations. The ability to successfully boost a low voltage will depend on factors such as the input voltage range, the desired output voltage, and the available components and circuitry. In some cases, boosting a very low voltage may not be possible or practical.