Border conditions on Molecular Dynamics Simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses building a code for Molecular dynamics in C and using Lennard Jones Potential, periodic border conditions, and Verlet Integration. The speaker is concerned about the energy not being conserved when the border conditions are present and is seeking suggestions for improvement.
mielgosez
I'm building a code for Molecular dynamics (in C).
I'm employing Lennard Jones Potential, periodic border conditions and I integrate Newton's equations by making use of Verlet Integration.
When I plot Time vs Energy graph, what I get isn't a constant! but when border condition are remove, then energy is conserved! What is happening?
I appreciate any suggestion, thanks​
The code is in the following link (border condition are in red):http://es.scribd.com/doc/62027867/Molecular-Dynamics

Technology news on Phys.org
-CodeThe periodic boundary conditions you are using may be introducing some numerical errors in the integration process. This can cause the energy to be slightly off from what it should be. To minimize this effect, you should make sure that the timestep you are using is small enough to accurately capture the motion of the particles. Additionally, you may want to consider using a more sophisticated integration method that is better suited for dealing with periodic boundary conditions.

1. What are border conditions in molecular dynamics simulation?

Border conditions, also known as boundary conditions, refer to the constraints placed on the simulation box in molecular dynamics simulations. These constraints define the size and shape of the simulation box and can affect the accuracy and reliability of the simulation results.

2. Why are border conditions important in molecular dynamics simulations?

Border conditions are important because they determine the interactions between particles within the simulation box. Different border conditions can lead to different results, so it is crucial to carefully choose the appropriate conditions for the specific system being simulated.

3. What are the different types of border conditions used in molecular dynamics simulations?

There are several types of border conditions commonly used in molecular dynamics simulations, including periodic, reflective, and fixed boundary conditions. Periodic boundary conditions allow particles to wrap around the simulation box, reflective conditions reflect particles off the boundaries, and fixed conditions keep particles within the boundaries.

4. How do border conditions affect the accuracy of molecular dynamics simulations?

The choice of border conditions can significantly impact the accuracy of molecular dynamics simulations. Inaccurate or inappropriate border conditions can introduce artifacts and bias into the simulation results. It is crucial to carefully consider the system being simulated and choose the appropriate border conditions to minimize errors.

5. Can border conditions be changed during a molecular dynamics simulation?

Yes, border conditions can be changed during a molecular dynamics simulation. This can be useful for studying the effects of different boundary conditions on the system or for transitioning between different types of simulations. However, it is essential to carefully consider the implications of changing border conditions mid-simulation and to properly equilibrate the system before making any changes.